Why does my video looked washed out and low quality? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #16
Major Player

He said he got his zebra set at 80.
Forgot he should turn of his nr, and only use it at 6db.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #17
New Boot

Thanks for all the help everyone. I filmed yesterday and the footage looks a lot better. I still feel like i am not getting full HD quality. I will get a new video up as soon as its edited and hopefully you guys can help me out some more.

Once again thanks to everyone. I can't believe the amount of responses i got to this in such a short time!
Joe Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes, Khoi, but once you are have zebras appearing, you don't know how far over that 80 ire you have gone. It's dangerous.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #19
Major Player

You understood me one way, other understood me other way, maybe I should reword it to open the iris until you starting to see zebra on the faces, you thinking I told him to open it until zebra cover up all of the faces and that is wrong and not what I meant.
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Regular Crew

If you are shooting for the first time, then why don't you just try shooting in automatic and see how that looks? The auto setting on the A1 is pretty good. You may be just confusing yourself with stuff you don't understand. That's what happened when I first learned how to shoot.

Also, as an editor, I do not like shooting with any gain and or like using footage shot by someone else who used it. If you must, you must, but as little as possible.

Last thing, on the left side of the frame the green screen does not cover the entire wall. May want to move in closer if possible.
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #21
Major Player

don't use any NoiseReduction (NR).

Try to use 1080/60i, before 30p.

Colorgain set to +12 - +18, for normal gama, try with CMX1. Try gama1 with CMX1 and colorgain +8.

You can use SET -2 a PED -3, with BLACK to M (or press).
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM   #22
New Boot

Keep it Simple

My advice is to keep it simple. You can get a decent picture out of this camera without having to meddle extensively with the picture settings.

It looks to me like you're simply underexposed. Either open up a stop or two, or bring the key and fill lights a foot or two closer to the subject. If you are using 500w Lowell Omni lights with the diffusion umbrellas they'll have to be pretty close to the talent -- 30 to 40 inches. I would also advise raising the key light to shine down slightly on your subject. This will move his hand shadow from his chest to his stomach (less distracting) and will also give him a more natural looking nose shadow. Here's a sample I shot under these conditions: Presentation, Training, and Special Audience Video | We Drink it Black, LLC (Irene's quote).

If Zebras are confusing you, just use the light meter built into the camera. Get right in his face with the camera and put the needle one or two ticks above center. Then go back to the tripod and things should fall into place.

You don't have many darks in the shot, so pulling/pressing the blacks probably won't make much of a difference.
David Quakenbush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders