Does your XHA1 ever freeze? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Does your XHA1 ever freeze?

For the last day or so my XHA1 has been freezing. Once I stop recording, the dial becomes un-responsive. Even when I turn it to the off position, it still stays on. I actually have to take the battery out and put it back in to reset it. It only happens ever now and then, but it just started. Has this ever happened to you?

Last edited by Kevin Lewis; November 5th, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Trustee

This hasn't happened to me nor have I read of others with this problem. It's an odd one for sure.

You might use the reset button to see if it helps resolve it. Aside from that, it's hard to figure out what might cause this. The fact that it's intermittent only makes it more difficult to diagnose.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the input Tripp. Wheres the reset button?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Major Player

I believe Tripp may be referring to the "reset all" option under "system setup" of the menu screen.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Noooo.........

He's not.

That option is a "high level" reset and does not reset the basic functionality of the camera.

The real "Reset" button (which pretty well clobbers everything and returns the entire camera to factory defaults) is situated adjacent to the loudspeaker, which lives underneath the flip out LCD when it is in the parked position.

As for the reason for your apparent fault, failing a memory/ firmware error (which should be corrected with a full reset) the only other obvious possibility that comes to mind is a flat internal Lithium battery.

If you check page 14 of the camera manual, you will see that certain modes of use can lead this to discharge completely, which could make the cameraa flaky in the extreme.

If fully charging this battery and a full hard reset don't fix the problem, I guess the camera has a date with a Canon service technician sometime soon.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

fwiw:

Nevermind...I misread the original problem...doesn't sound similar to mine after all...carry on.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Kevin the XH-A1 dial has solid contacts when you operate it, they might have gotten some grit in there. Take the battery out and slowly click the dial through all its positions 20 or 30times. As you do it carefully pull it towards you a bit. Same with the on/off switch.
Cheers.
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin, friend of mine had this problem and it developed further, he could not start the camera (sporadically) at all. Then it would not turn off, nor record, nothing. Canon reported him that it has to do with start up mechanism, which they suggested to replace. The cause of this was most probably dust and grit as Allan mentioned.

Take care.
Pavel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders