Stuck Pixel In Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stuck Pixel In Footage

Just went to check some footage shot yesterday on an XHA1s and there is a stuck or dead pixel in all of the film. (screen show attached) Couldn't see this while shooting, but noticed it upon import. I checked the camera this morning to see if the pixel was still there...but it was gone. I did remove the battery last night to charge it.

Anyone else seen this before? I was using -3b gain and Panavision preset.

I found a post that mentions it, and kind of explains what happened.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...ervations.html

I wonder if this is a common issue or a faulty camera?
Attached Thumbnails
Stuck Pixel In Footage-picture-2.jpg  
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've seen it mentioned on a few other posts. Try a reset but if it happens regularly follow that routine I guess.
Cheers.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Trustee

From what I know, stuck pixels are fairly rare with the A1. It's rather a critical component so I suspect Canon would have a nearly zero tolerance for it. I too would recommend that you reset the camera. If it doesn't resolve itself then you'll likely have to send it back to Canon for services. Hopefully it's still under warranty.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up. Did a full reset....will cross my fingers for now.
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

Well, I have seen white pixels on my XH-A1 for about one year ago. They showed up even at -3dB gain. I had it sent for service for another reason and asked them to check it up. The serviceman said he couldn't see any white pixels and told me that he also had done some kind of check on the CCD:s which didn't report anyting unusual. When I got the camera back, the white pixels wasn't there anymore and I can't remeber that I've seen any white pixels since then. During normal filming, in normal bright environments, a white pixel probably will be hard to see anyway.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well Shux. Unfortunately the (i think its a hot pixel now) keeps showing up after about 3 minutes of filming. I have since discovered the DH_Reincarnation filter which seems to be a quick and acceptable fix for my long form video.

I mainly shoot live concert with only stage lighting so the pixels are real easy to see against the black background. Guess I'll have to call up Canon and deal with the warranty service repair.
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders