Any tips for panning? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Younger View Post
I guess I should have stated I was doing 180 & even 360 degree pans (Oh how the scenery demanded that!!)

)
Tips on panning... Don't unless there is a reason for it!

There are many different ways to tell a story.
Rather than trying to tell it in a single shot, such as a 360 pan, next time think about maybe shooting a series of shots that can be edited together to give a better overview of your subject, and a more compelling reason for people to watch.

Just my thoughts
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Many years ago I was shown a tip by a cameraman who filmed horse races for TV .. and it's this.

When you're shooting a race, horse/car or similar and there's a bunch coming down the straight say left to right, keep your eye on the right side of your viewfinder and keep the race leader just to the left of it.

This way you can pan evenly and track the runners .. and you can easily see them speeding up as they get closer.

Cheers.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Tips on panning... Don't unless there is a reason for it!
Quite right, and certainly a 360 degree pan is a very niche market! Even a 180 degree is generally way way too long, unless there is a really specific reason for it.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders