MX02 Mini with XHA1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MX02 Mini with XHA1s

The MX02 Mini has component and DVI inputs only. How does capturing the video signal from the HXA1s "HD/SD Component Out" to the MX02 compare to capturing HDV through firewire? In other words, which is the purer signal?
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Alex. I hadn't come across this device before. It looks really interesting, especially if Cineform support becomes available.

As for your question, the analogue component output should be pre-HDV compression and therefore should be higher quality than the firewire output. Unfortunately, nobody seems able to confirm this, or should I say I haven't been able to find a definite answer anywhere.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Only live, once you go to tape you get HDV compression.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Trustee

"Only live, once you go to tape you get HDV compression. "

Hi David. Well yes, I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Richard
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

HDV Compression

So, if I capture HDV taped footage through the Canon's component port, is that not an analog signal? Either way, is it better to capture HDV over firewire or throught the MX02 Mini? Tha MX02 creates "Matrox AVI" files from the played back tapes. Wouldn't it seem that it is being compressed twice?
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Alex. The only benefit of using the analogue component signal in this way is if you are bypassing the tape during shooting. As I mentioned, it is possible that this signal is without any HDV compression so it would give better image quality.

If you are talking about capturing from tape, you will get the best results using the FW port, because the video on the tape is already digitised and the FW capture is simply a way to transfer the digital data to hard disk without further conversion or loss. Using the component output for this would give slightly worse results because it means another D/A and A/D conversion and also a video compression stage.

Note that if you do want to convert the HDV data to a different format for ease of editing, you can actually do it as a digital operation during capturing. For example, in Sony Vegas you can capture to Cineform codec and in Edius you can capture to the Canopus HQ codec. Both of these methods avoid any unnecessary D/A and A/D conversions.

Richard
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

HDV Data Rates

I can capture HDV footage at 25 Mbps over firewire. The Matrox allows me to capture video via component port at up to 300 Mbps, but it involves a D/A and A/D conversion from tape to the Matrox codec. Do you think it is wise to do so? In other words, how badly is the signal degraded by the D/A conversion?

Last edited by Alex DeJesus; December 9th, 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add words
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Alex. Even if the signal is only degraded a little bit, why would you want to do that? I thought FW is much more convenient for capture than buying a separate box.

Richard
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

MX02 Mini Benefits?

The MX02 Mini also has an HDMI output that can go to a monitor. Apart from that, I don't know any other benefits for using it except maybe the Matrox AVI codec is better for editing than HDV and has a much higher data rate. I may have wasted some money.
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Trustee

I was thinking of using it with a laptop to bypass the camera's HDV compression and recording higher quality video. Would be interesting to know if anybody's tried this yet with an XH-A1.

Richard
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Major Player

I'd be interested in knowing that too, as that would be the only thing I would want the a1s over the a1 for.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

In the user's manual, the firewire port is called the "HDV/DV Terminal". I assumed it is HDV compression with tape or no tape. I was hoping the component output would be of better or equal quality than HDV.

I guess you can get a Firestore to record directly without tape, but it would be HDV compression. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Major Player

The Matrox MXO2 Mini has HDMI, Component and composite inputs and outputs. I use it to monitor HDV footage from FCP. I work in PAL land which causes problems with 60Hz screens. The MXO solves it all and also you can colour grade your monitor. Basically it gives you something approaching professional monitoring at a fraction of normal cost. I highly recommend it. Never tried using it to record so not sure how this works but the thought of lugging a laptop etc around when trying to film makes it pointless to me.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus View Post
In the user's manual, the firewire port is called the "HDV/DV Terminal". I assumed it is HDV compression with tape or no tape. I was hoping the component output would be of better or equal quality than HDV.

I guess you can get a Firestore to record directly without tape, but it would be HDV compression. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi Alex. Yes you are right, the FW output is always compressed. I was thinking about shooting and capturing video using the component out from the XH-A1 into the component input on the MXO2Mini. The idea is to bypass the HDV compression, not just to avoid using tape.

Richard
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Major Player

Anyone have any further information on this?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders