Matching XH-A1 with HMC150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Matching XH-A1 with HMC150?

Hi guys,

I have a XH-A1, and I'm planning on shooting an artist's studio recording, with a HMC150 as second camera. I was just wondering if there was any particular settings or custom profiles available to match the two cameras as closely as possible.

I'm fairly familiar with the A1 but still new to the HMC150. The plan is to shoot HDV (1080i) 24F with the A1 and one of the HD 24P modes on the HMC150.

Any other tips or suggestions would be great.

Thanks a bunch!
Howard Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Does the XHA1 do 24F?

I sold mine a while ago but it didn't have that format, though perhaps the upgrade S model does. As i recall it had 25f.

The Panasonic camera needs to be converted to Pro Res 422 (in FCP at least) as AVCHD cannot be edited straight out of the camera. So it would be best to do the same with the Canon footage to keep it consistent. I'd keep them both 25p/f unless there is a 24 mode.

As far as custom profiles go, i'd probably download one of the Panalooks or some such Panasonicish custom setting from the stickies page at the top of the main XH series page. If you can compare the two cameras on monitors, it would be possible to tweak them to look more alike i guess, but the panalook should put you in the ballpark. Alternatively, you could shoot both at flat settings, and match them up in post.

There are no doubt other ways of doing this, but if you're using FCP, this workflow should work fine. If you're using another NLE, say so, and someone else can help you out.

Hope this helps.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders