Canon XHA1 video camera - flourescent light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon XHA1 video camera - flourescent light

Hi all,
I have a question about my Canon XHA1 camera. I am trying to film interviews in fluorescent lighting (quite bright) and am finding that the feed into my camera is very dark. I have increased the exposure as much as possible (an act that used to turn the screen white but now creates a passably lit image but with bad quality and jumpy motion), changed the shutter speed, and otherwise fiddled in other rooms and even outside............I have filmed in similar light before without these problems – it feels like I’m missing something. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Maria Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, it shouldn't be a problem at all. My suggestion would be to put the camera into Auto mode and see if you have the same bad results just to test, be sure to set the white balence manually though.

If the room is well lit then you really shouldn't be getting a dark picture, you might also try hitting the "reset camera" option as well in case things got fouled up somewhere. I wouldn't mess with the shutter in a interview shot.

Also make sur you didn't accidently set a preset.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi MAria,

Check The followings:

What is your source for monitoring the footage? don't rely on the camera's monitor.
Open up the iris
Gain control put it on +3
Set the camera on Auto or Manual
Play around with exposure & speed shutter.
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Maria................

Run the camera in Manual.

Keep the lens at full wide, do not use the zoom (the lens goes from a 1: 1.6 to a 1: 3.5 at full zoom - that's a lot of light to lose)

Set your shutter speed to 1/60 (good) or 1/30 (better) and leave it there. At that slow shutter ensure there is no fast movement, it will leave a snail trail.

Ensure the ND filters are OFF.

Ensure there is no polariser on the lens.

Turn your presets OFF.

Set aperture to suit, even full wide if need be.

Only add gain if the above still doesn't give you adequate light.

If that doesn't do it there is definately something amiss.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders