Separate audio levels for channels on an A1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Separate audio levels for channels on an A1s

One of the improvement of the A1 was the ability to set separate audio levels for each channel. This is good for covering yourself by having one channel a little lower that the other (assuming you are only using one mike) in case there is an unexpected outburst of sound that peaks out on one channel and distorts.

I had my A1s set up this way and it worked fine. I then discovered several bad pixels after only two hours of use and took it into Canon for service. When I got the camera back all my settings were changed back to factory default I could not get the two channels to work with separate levels. They are linked together even though the menu settings are not set for linking.

I'm in full manual mode, XLR setting and I followed the manual to see what it says to set this up, but my menu is not looking like what the book says. I had it working fine before. Is it possible that they screwed this up when they fixed the pixels, or have I just gone brain dead?

Can anybody walk me through this?
Kelly Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If the new Canon doesn't come up to scatch I'm getting an A1s .. so I'm interested .. did you sort this out Kelly?

Cheers.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

No, I have not yet. Still hoping that somebody answers. if not I'm going to try calling Canon.
Kelly Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly..........

Not familiar with the 1s, but would suggest that if just returned from Canon and it's "not right", you do another hard reset just in case they have done something silly.

As I would have thought having non linked audio on the two channels was a standard factory setting, the fact that it won't let you change it (or isn't doing it despite apparently being set) suggests the firmware has had a glitch.

Nothing to lose by trying another full reset.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Trustee

My experience is with the a1, not a1s, so excuse me if this has changed ...but did you possibly overlook the CH1/CH2 switch? If it is set to CH1, you get channel 1 on ch 1, ch2 on ch2; if you have it set to ch1/2 (confusing, I know!) you get the combined audio that you are experiencing....../ Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #6
Major Player

I only have experience with the A1, not the A1s but do have the pdf manual. Check page 51 & 52.

By the way, "linking" etc., refers only to the way the audio auto level circuit behaves.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders