Some Advice Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 24th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Some Advice Please

A little about how I will be using the XH . I make how to videos on rock hounding and gold prospecting, so 90% of the time will be out doors then some interview stuff indoors and sometimes underground. These are just how to vids. They air on the internet and then I make a extended DVD for sale also. I shot some test stuff with the PRESETS listed on this site way cool resource. Of course when I play the footage back on my HD monitor( Samsung TV) it looks great and of course on my 24" I Mac it looks total different like it should, but looks like it would take a lot of work to get it ready to put out on the internet. I'm not after the look of film or fancy tints but I do what great looking video why else have the XH-A1. Is there a way I should be setting the XH up so I wont have to do to much fussing with my internet copy?
Tim Glidewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Er, hi Tim.................

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question.

If it looks good directly to your monitor ( I assume you mean HDTV) and sucks on your MAC, well, there could be a hundred reasons.

What do they look like on the web? Have you tried them?

Put a sample up on the web as a test and let us have a squizz, can't comment without seeing the problem, basically.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Chris is right, we could do with seeing one of your tests.

I'm also going to make a suggestion which I suspect will not be approved by everyone here. If you are wanting to end up with High Def for your internet How To videos (like Vimeo can do) then don't bother reading the next bit, it doesn't apply.

IF you ARE looking for smallish file sizes here's the suggestion - try shooting standard def. It looks perfectly OK for most demonstration purposes. It arguably suffers less when being downsized/compressed for smaller file sizes and may well make for a simpler workflow - that would depend on your editing software.

Inevitably I run the risk of stirring up the much discussed question of how to get the best Standard Def footage from an XH-A1 (NOT my intention) but it might be worth a try.

The latest thread on the Standard Def issue gives some pros and cons
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...r-results.html
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #4
New Boot

I think I need to rewrite my question. I have only shot my shows in SD prior to getting the A1 a few weeks ago. I always had to do CC before I would send it to DVD format for tv viewing. The footage looks different on the computer then it dose on a tv as it should from what I understand. I always had to do the CC to DVD which was headed for television, what was going out on the net looked great. Now with the little bit of footage I've shot with the A1 it's the other way around looks bad on my computer monitor and good on the tv. Sorry I'm not the best commutator with text. Here,s the link to see a 15 sec clip. YouTube - Test For Forum to view XH-A1
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi again........

Looks good but seems to be way too saturated.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, try shooting it flat (BWIM no presets, nada, nothing, zilch but out - of - the - box settings).

Set you exposure compensation dial for -0.5, as the A1 shoots hot (well, mine does, anyway), either that or remember to dial the exposure down that amount at all times (easier to set the dial).

Should come out squeaky clean and ready to roll, just don't believe what your computer monitor is telling you, they can be very misleading.

Do make sure your HDTV doesn't have it's "shock and awe" mode engaged either, that can really screw things up.

I'll be interested to see your next test.

CS

PS: BWIM = by which I mean
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks I'll give that a go and post results. What is Shock & Awe mode ?
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ah, shock and awe............

Otherwise known as "Intense", "Brilliant" or think of any other word that describes totally over the top colour and saturation.

Built into every HDTV I"v been aquainted with, seems to be a US thing, what with NTSC and all (heck, when was the last time you ever actually saw flourescent grass?).

Turn on "shock and awe" and that's what you get.

That's S&A.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders