XH-A1 Favorite Upgrades!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Looks pretty good Rog. Did you use a custom preset? Cheers.
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Major Player

Allan, I believe I was using Panalook2 for a custom preset. In post I pressed the blacks moderately, stretched the mids, then added fill lighting and Neat. I was cutting the footage with a T2i, so I needed the A1 to be really clean to make it work.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
what about 7 inch monotors. any of you guys using them? are you able to dial in focus better? which models are people using with their xh-a1? Just found that some are using monitors from LCD4video.com , which model is it though , there is sooo many to choose from
Chris,

I have a Varizoom 7" monitor with the same resolution as the LCD4video 7" basic version and it is useless for focus. I got it for composition and it works well for that.

I bought a Manhattan HD089C which is in another world compared to the low resolution monitors. It's resolution is 1024x768 compared to the basic LCD4video's 480x240. It is much sharper than I expected.

If focus is your need, get as much resolution as you can. You wouldn't want to spend the money only to be disappointed that your new monitor doesn't really do what you want.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #19
Major Player

Allan is really right about audio being so important. Unless you do only something like scenic shots with background music, good mics are critical to your work.

I was thinking about hardware, but Roger is right about NeatVideo being a great product. It can make a surprising difference with noisy shots. If you shoot in very low light conditions, it's definitely worth the money.

I'm uploading a sample of some shots in 60i with the 16x9 EX 1.5 tele to Vimeo right now. Sorry it took me a couple of days. I've been fighting illness for nearly a week and heavy wind made it a little tough to get steady, fully zoomed shots. If you'd like to see another kind of shot, let me know. (Please -- no comments about the focus on a couple of shots! I was working fast to get it up for you guys and wasn't as careful as I should have been.)
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #20
Major Player

I use a SmallHD monitor some of the time. Really helps focus, but does require some set-up and draws more attention. If there's a lot of movement in distance from the camera, I like to use a monitor.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #21
Major Player

Okay, here's the sample footage with the 16x9 EX 1.5 teleconverter. The original file is available for downloading.

Old April 28th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Phil

I don't understad how people used to get information before Internet, it's so simple to share experiences these days.
I really appreciate your help and that you took your time to share your experience with your teleconverter!

As I can see it generates some chromatic aberation (CA), or to be honest, it probably magnifys the CA from the stock lens. It could be seen in high contrast parts around the edges of the picture. In the center it seems OK though. In low contrast scenes as the one with the black cat it's hard to see any CA. Also nice to see in the last clip that the tree is sharp all the way to the right edge of the picture.

Again, thank you for your help!

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #23
Regular Crew

thanks for sharing that video Phil. Im sold with the 16x9 teleconverter lense. I cant wait to try it out.
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #24
Major Player

So many people here have helped me and I've learned SO much from this forum that I was pretty excited to be able to give something back to you guys.

I didn't realize how much CA there was. (I still don't have as critical an eye as I should for things like that.)

I still really like it and plan to take it with me this weekend when I travel down to Houston for a little R&R to try some different kinds of shots.
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Are you guys using the bnc connector with ur LCD upgrade? Did you have to buy a female to femlae adapter?
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders