DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/478548-suggest-camera-monitor-xha1s.html)

Alex DeJesus June 20th, 2010 10:53 AM

Thanks Peter. The problem is those are not HD connections. Video 2 BNC and the yellow a/v are standard def. The only HD port is the HD/SD Component out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert Wide June 21st, 2010 06:44 AM

Question for Kees van Duijvenbode

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wide (Post 1540069)
Beste Kees, I saw this monitor too (Beetronics) and I read somewhere that it's made by Zeiss!! Nice to read that your confident with it!

Two compounded questions:
1. How do you fix the monitor to your camera (or tripod)? Is it light enough to put it on top of the camera with the Varizoom hot shoe connector? What do you do with the battery? Is the power cable long enough to screw the battery under the camera (tripod screw)?
2. Is the monitor durable (because of the low price compared to SmallHD) and good enough for focussing (which I would expect, it's HD after all!)

Groeten RW

Hi Kees, one other question: does the XHA1 send display information (zebra's, shutterspeed etc) to the external monitor when you use the composite. Peaking does't work I suppose?

Kees van Duijvenbode June 21st, 2010 06:48 AM

Yes it does. No, it doesn't. :-)
I will reply to your e-mail tonight.

Robert Wide June 21st, 2010 06:50 AM

Tx Kees!

RW

Scott Head October 13th, 2010 12:50 AM

What about Manhattan monitors. I have heard good things about them.

I too am looking for a reasonable 5-7" on-camera monitor. As a relative newbie to DV, I am learning as I go.

John D. Griffin February 14th, 2012 02:30 PM

Re: Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern (Post 1539095)
I bought the small HD and it works great with the A1, it's an incredible monitor and I like the power option since the battery is slim and clips to the back of the monitor .. component out into the monitor.. looks great ...

Dave, just picked up the SmallHD DP4 for my Canon XHA1s. What cable are you using to run from DP4 to the camera? None of their supplied cables do the job. Thanks.

John

Dave Stern February 14th, 2012 08:48 PM

hi John - I hope you enjoy your new monitor!! Mine is not the DP4, but is the older model which was larger and not sold anymore (DP1) .. that DP1 has analog component inputs, for which I use the large / bukly cable supplied with the XHA1 (fits on the custom connector output on the camera and terminates in component connectors) .. not sure what inputs are avail. on the DP4, so you may need a converter to convert analog outputs from the camera to HDMI for the monitor (trick will be finding one battery powered if you need that).. there's also the firewire out but I bet that's more difficult to deal with than the analog out (which is still a "HD" signal btw) .. good luck & post back what you do!

John D. Griffin February 15th, 2012 07:49 AM

Dave:
SmallHD told me to use the supplied DTC-1000 Canon cable with the D4 connector mated with their RCA cable via couplers which then plugs into the headphone jack of the DP4. My problem is that I can not shoot with 7' of cable dangling from the camera.
What I would like to know is if there is a 1' cable out there with a D4 connector (so it attaches to camera) on one end and a headphone connector on the other end. I am not to worried about the DP4 signal being HD. I just need the unit as a focusing aid. Does anyone know if such a cable exists? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

David Robinson April 18th, 2012 05:35 AM

What is the best option ( on a VERY low budget) for a monitor available in the UK please.

Stany Hermans April 18th, 2012 10:39 AM

This may be what you're looking for:
Lilliput UK · 569GL-50NP/HO/Y · 5 inch field monitor with HDMI and camera battery slot
Can be found on ebay around GBP 165.

Maurice Covington April 20th, 2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Haycock (Post 1539795)
Has anyone tried the Lilliput monitors?

Annie,

my buddy ordered one of these and sent it back the same day. I'm guessing that he didn't do his homework to make sure that he had the correct connections. That being said, there are two options that I'd like to throw out there.

1. If you have limited movement and can charge the battery periodically, there is an 7" HD TV out there made by some company called AccessHD. This monitor if for a camera mount and even comes with the necessary accessaries for only about $50.00. It is great!!!!!!! My only issue with it is battery life and you can't add a larger battery that I am aware of.

2. You can try the 7" Marshall Monitor. I have nothing bad to say about this one except that I need two more.

Annie Haycock April 29th, 2012 05:44 AM

Hi Maurice

I did buy the Lilliput, and an external Lithium battery. The system works well, I had no problems once I had sorted out the colour connections - had to write to the seller to work that out. I can also use it with my Nikon D7000. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to devote to photography or videography lately - due to pressure of work, and am out of practice at it all. Been away for the last few weeks and forgot to take the LANC cable amongst other things!

But thanks for the suggestions - I'm sure others will find them useful.

Jase Tanner May 1st, 2012 08:55 AM

John

I had my DTC-1000 cable shortened to about a foot and then added the couplers and the RCA cable. Not exactly what you're looking for but a step in the right direction. With much of the bulk of the DTC-1000 no gone, its easy to coil both cables up and velcro it to the inside of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183476-REG/Mighty_Wondercam_Videosmith_R05_Aux_Box_for_Rover.html
The aux box also provides a mounting point for the monitor using the Small HD articulating arm

David Stembridge March 27th, 2013 08:50 PM

Jase, any details on who you had shorten your cable? I have a spare... considering giving it a try myself; but can't find any breakdowns on the cable itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase Tanner (Post 1730751)
...I had my DTC-1000 cable shortened to about a foot and then added the couplers and the RCA cable....

Geoffrey Weglarz August 15th, 2013 05:15 PM

I too am looking to mount a monitor and use the component inputs. Any idea of somewhere to purchase a shorter cable or a place that might shorten it?