Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s?

I am looking to buy a lightweight monitor, maybe 6" or 7", because I can't see very well with the tiny onboard flip-out. Do you have any suggestions? Which video connections are best to use?
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Trustee

SmallHD - works great on the XH-A1
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #3
New Boot

HI Alex, there are expensive small monitors available for your task. I just wanted a cheap monitor to frame through while working. for $80 I picked up a dvd player with video in as a feature (there are many sizes of course to choose from). So if your on a tripod and not moving, it's great. If you want it fixed while having to be mobile, then there are plenty of professional little screens to choose from. Good luck.
Peter Anastasopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Cheap won't do

I need a really good monitor because I can't see dammit anymore. I have a stigmatism that could end my career if it gets any worse. The tiny flip-out monitor is useless and I don't trust the viewfinder.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus View Post
I am looking to buy a lightweight monitor, maybe 6" or 7", because I can't see very well with the tiny onboard flip-out. Do you have any suggestions? Which video connections are best to use?
I bought a "Dynex" 15 inch, 720, 16:9 HD Monitor/TV at Best Buy for around $140, it has componant inputs that will allow you to use your HD cable that came with the XH A1s. It doesnt attach to the camera but you can simlpy set in right next to the camera, it sure has done the job for me.

Remember though, with this monitor and all others you will actually be filming slightly more than you are seeing in the monitor, so keep that in mind while filming. I wish Canon would just make it so what you see is what you get but I know many companies do this, don't ask me why.

Here's a link to that monitor: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...01341&st=dynex 15 hd&contract_desc=null

Last edited by Danny Winn; June 13th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Danny. I was thinking more in terms of a camera mounted monitor, 6" or so and lightweight. I willl look into the Dynex for other purposes, though
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #7
Major Player

I recently bought this one in The Netherlands. Don't know if you can buy it in the US. It also goes under the name CARUBA. But this is a hell of a HD monitor for a very nice price.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
SmallHD - works great on the XH-A1
I bought the small HD and it works great with the A1, it's an incredible monitor and I like the power option since the battery is slim and clips to the back of the monitor .. component out into the monitor.. looks great ...

only hitch with using the component out on the A1 is that the peaking must be a hardware function on the flip out LCD since the peaking isn't shown on the external monitor .. so when it's a concern, I use both, the flip out shows peaking (enough for me to adjust the aperature) and the external monitor shows me everything else .. kind of a pain but an acceptable trade-off (and on my A1, my component out is tied up for something else, but I suspect it would be the same, and the A1 doesn't have the SDI out)

noga arm from my tripod to the monitor, and smaller ball mount for the multi rig when I mount the A1 there ... if you want to mount it directly to the A1, I'd recommend a clamp on the handle to provide a 1/4 20 thread .. the hotshoe in my opinion may not be strong enough

hope this helps!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Paul and Dave, you are talking about the 7" SmallHD DP1? I saw that one online, thanks. It might still be a little heavy for me. I want to mount it to a Varizoom Media Rig or onto the camera. They are coming out with a 5.6" model designed for an DSLR. I'm hoping lighter weight and component in. On both models I like that the battery pack attaches to the monitor. They are both going for the same price, $899

Last edited by Alex DeJesus; June 16th, 2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode View Post
I recently bought this one in The Netherlands. Don't know if you can buy it in the US. It also goes under the name CARUBA. But this is a hell of a HD monitor for a very nice price.
Kees, does that monitor have compnoent in?
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Yes. It has both component and HDMI in. I use the component in when I use it on my XHA1 and that shows a real nice and hi-res picture. Very usable for focussing and the rest.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #12
Major Player

Has anyone tried the Lilliput monitors?

Car Computer - Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C - 7" HDMI monitor (non-touch scre

They seem to be cheap - specification and price comparable to the Coruba model mentioned by Kees.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes. It has both component and HDMI in. I use the component in when I use it on my XHA1 and that shows a real nice and hi-res picture. Very usable for focussing and the rest.
How do you connect component from XHA1s? what cable do you use?
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Beste Kees, I saw this monitor too (Beetronics) and I read somewhere that it's made by Zeiss!! Nice to read that your confident with it!

Two compounded questions:
1. How do you fix the monitor to your camera (or tripod)? Is it light enough to put it on top of the camera with the Varizoom hot shoe connector? What do you do with the battery? Is the power cable long enough to screw the battery under the camera (tripod screw)?
2. Is the monitor durable (because of the low price compared to SmallHD) and good enough for focussing (which I would expect, it's HD after all!)

Groeten RW
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #15
New Boot

Hi Alex, on the XH you can use the Bnc connector switching the tiny switch to Video 2 or the stereo out cable switched to Video 1, and only use the Yellow RCA connector from that splitter cable which if you don't have will only cost you about $6. This cable gives you stereo out as well as the composite out you need. The switch is tiny on the back panel approx in the middle of that panel on the XH. Good luck.
Peter Anastasopoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders