Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter. The problem is those are not HD connections. Video 2 BNC and the yellow a/v are standard def. The only HD port is the HD/SD Component out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Question for Kees van Duijvenbode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wide View Post
Beste Kees, I saw this monitor too (Beetronics) and I read somewhere that it's made by Zeiss!! Nice to read that your confident with it!

Two compounded questions:
1. How do you fix the monitor to your camera (or tripod)? Is it light enough to put it on top of the camera with the Varizoom hot shoe connector? What do you do with the battery? Is the power cable long enough to screw the battery under the camera (tripod screw)?
2. Is the monitor durable (because of the low price compared to SmallHD) and good enough for focussing (which I would expect, it's HD after all!)

Groeten RW
Hi Kees, one other question: does the XHA1 send display information (zebra's, shutterspeed etc) to the external monitor when you use the composite. Peaking does't work I suppose?
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Yes it does. No, it doesn't. :-)
I will reply to your e-mail tonight.
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Tx Kees!

RW
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #20
Tourist

What about Manhattan monitors. I have heard good things about them.

I too am looking for a reasonable 5-7" on-camera monitor. As a relative newbie to DV, I am learning as I go.
Scott Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
New Boot

Re: Suggest On-camera Monitor for XHA1s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern View Post
I bought the small HD and it works great with the A1, it's an incredible monitor and I like the power option since the battery is slim and clips to the back of the monitor .. component out into the monitor.. looks great ...
Dave, just picked up the SmallHD DP4 for my Canon XHA1s. What cable are you using to run from DP4 to the camera? None of their supplied cables do the job. Thanks.

John
John D. Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Major Player

hi John - I hope you enjoy your new monitor!! Mine is not the DP4, but is the older model which was larger and not sold anymore (DP1) .. that DP1 has analog component inputs, for which I use the large / bukly cable supplied with the XHA1 (fits on the custom connector output on the camera and terminates in component connectors) .. not sure what inputs are avail. on the DP4, so you may need a converter to convert analog outputs from the camera to HDMI for the monitor (trick will be finding one battery powered if you need that).. there's also the firewire out but I bet that's more difficult to deal with than the analog out (which is still a "HD" signal btw) .. good luck & post back what you do!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #23
New Boot

Dave:
SmallHD told me to use the supplied DTC-1000 Canon cable with the D4 connector mated with their RCA cable via couplers which then plugs into the headphone jack of the DP4. My problem is that I can not shoot with 7' of cable dangling from the camera.
What I would like to know is if there is a 1' cable out there with a D4 connector (so it attaches to camera) on one end and a headphone connector on the other end. I am not to worried about the DP4 signal being HD. I just need the unit as a focusing aid. Does anyone know if such a cable exists? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
John D. Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #24
New Boot

What is the best option ( on a VERY low budget) for a monitor available in the UK please.
David Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #25
New Boot

This may be what you're looking for:
Lilliput UK · 569GL-50NP/HO/Y · 5 inch field monitor with HDMI and camera battery slot
Can be found on ebay around GBP 165.
Stany Hermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
Has anyone tried the Lilliput monitors?
Annie,

my buddy ordered one of these and sent it back the same day. I'm guessing that he didn't do his homework to make sure that he had the correct connections. That being said, there are two options that I'd like to throw out there.

1. If you have limited movement and can charge the battery periodically, there is an 7" HD TV out there made by some company called AccessHD. This monitor if for a camera mount and even comes with the necessary accessaries for only about $50.00. It is great!!!!!!! My only issue with it is battery life and you can't add a larger battery that I am aware of.

2. You can try the 7" Marshall Monitor. I have nothing bad to say about this one except that I need two more.

Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Maurice

I did buy the Lilliput, and an external Lithium battery. The system works well, I had no problems once I had sorted out the colour connections - had to write to the seller to work that out. I can also use it with my Nikon D7000. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to devote to photography or videography lately - due to pressure of work, and am out of practice at it all. Been away for the last few weeks and forgot to take the LANC cable amongst other things!

But thanks for the suggestions - I'm sure others will find them useful.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:55 AM   #28
Major Player

John

I had my DTC-1000 cable shortened to about a foot and then added the couplers and the RCA cable. Not exactly what you're looking for but a step in the right direction. With much of the bulk of the DTC-1000 no gone, its easy to coil both cables up and velcro it to the inside of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183476-REG/Mighty_Wondercam_Videosmith_R05_Aux_Box_for_Rover.html
The aux box also provides a mounting point for the monitor using the Small HD articulating arm
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Jase, any details on who you had shorten your cable? I have a spare... considering giving it a try myself; but can't find any breakdowns on the cable itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
...I had my DTC-1000 cable shortened to about a foot and then added the couplers and the RCA cable....
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #30
Tourist

I too am looking to mount a monitor and use the component inputs. Any idea of somewhere to purchase a shorter cable or a place that might shorten it?
Geoffrey Weglarz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders