Torn at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Torn

Between the xh a1 and the xl h1. I currently own an xl2, and my oly complaint is the small lcd. That being said, the xha1 shines with the bigger lcd. Which one would you recommend and why? Thanks - the size doesn't matter to me all that much, as I almost appreciate the large size of the xl 2 due to the shoulder mount = steady shots. Thanks again
Jon Medjeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Jon, I own both cameras and each one has it's good side and bad side.
The H1 is a very heavy camera and I know it's supposed to be a shoulder camera but it's really not, the end of the camera rests on your shoulder and all the weight is on your hand, so it's a tripod camera in my opinion. what I love about this camera is you hardly have to go to the menu you can change most functions with the flip of a switch like audio, IS, frame rate. Also it has an exchangeable lens.
The A1 is much lighter, had a bigger LCD and also the autofocus is much better than the H1, I only use autofocus on the Glidecam, I find myself using the A1 most of the time.
If you are not planning on changing lenses on the H1 then the A1 will be the right choice, the image quality is exactly the same at half the price.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate your response!
Jon Medjeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
New Boot

Glad to see I haven't been the only one torn by this decision this week!

I've been reading through this forum and various other sites for the past couple of weeks trying to make my mind up. I currently have the XL1S so the thought of 'downsizing' to the XHA1s was a tricky one. ;)

In the end, I have £6000 to set myself up properly and the XLH1 would have taken £5000 of that, so I went with my head and purchased the XHA1s a few days ago. That way I've still got plenty left over for other pieces of equipment.

Incidentally if anyone could help with a ballpark figure for selling an XL1S kit, then please see my thread here ;)
Danial Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I believe we'll go with the XHA1s as well, although, we are replacing 2 XL1s cams....
Probably will get an HV30 as a capture cam/ and possibly 3rd cam if needed.
I have always loved the way I can comfortably hold the XL1s on my shoulder, it balances nicely, gives a smooth shot.
Any recommendations on shoulder type supports?
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM   #6
New Boot

Spiderbrace 2

I've used a Spiderbrace 2 for a while. It's inexpensive and you can put it on the ground and get some great shots.

Spiderbrace
Dailey Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stembridge View Post
I believe we'll go with the XHA1s as well, although, we are replacing 2 XL1s cams....
Probably will get an HV30 as a capture cam/ and possibly 3rd cam if needed.
I have always loved the way I can comfortably hold the XL1s on my shoulder, it balances nicely, gives a smooth shot.
Any recommendations on shoulder type supports?
Why not go A1 and a 7D? I have a spider brace and to be honest it sit's in the cupboard, with practise you can lock the A1 tight on your shoulder and keep it stable without having to pull off the tripod plate. I do use a steady cam though also for shots which is excellent.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
Why not go A1 and a 7D?
Thanks for the advise, who makes the A1 and 7D? Got a link?
Thanks!
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Jon,

Go with the XHA1. You'll save money and be happy with it in the long run.
Mary Hagopian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders