How to de-interlace? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to de-interlace?

I normally shoot 1080i and want to output to web or DVD. My editing software, Adobe Premiere CS4, does not de-interlace as far as I know. Is there a separate de-interlacer that I can download or purchase?
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Alex.....
Adobe deinterlaces...
It just depends on your quality needs...
Simply right click on the clip, on the timeline, and go to "Field option's>Always Deintelace".
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Tried it

Thanks. You can't tell on a computer screen, but it helps
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus View Post
Thanks. You can't tell on a computer screen, but it helps
If you can't tell on the computer screen, then you're not using a good tool. Simple as that. A good de-interlacer produces immediate and obvious results.
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
I normally shoot 1080i and want to output to web or DVD. My editing software, Adobe Premiere CS4, does not de-interlace as far as I know. Is there a separate de-interlacer that I can download or purchase?
Hey Alex, I use CS4 and my Xh A1s too and I only edit in non-interlaced progressive.

I shoot at 30fps then capture with the PPro preset of HDV - HDV 1080p30. You should do all your editing then export at "HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality" or "HDTV 720p 29.97 High Quality". I export as MPEG 2 or sometimes WMV if I'm concerned with files size.

If you shoot at 23.97, 24, or 25FPS, those options are also available in Adobe PPro with the non-interlaced Progressive settings as well (capture or export).

You can view my Non-interlaced HD 1080p videos here for samples:
YouTube - DannyWinnVideo's Channel

Hope this helps;)
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree with Danny...

All my taping (XH A1), is now shot progressively...
Although, in all honesty, i don't know what the HDTV presets are good for..
Are they BluRay compatible, or is it some generic encode for viewing out to your monitor via an SDHC card??
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Major Player

When shooting interlaced do not deinterlace your footage for dvd with CS4. It throughs away half your vertikal resoution. CS5 deinterlaces much better.
By the way any dvd player or pc player will handle the dvd just fine.
For the web its ok to deinterlace with CS4.
Always set up a sequence that matches your footage and export as progressive.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So, then is there any good reason to shoot in 60i?
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
When shooting interlaced do not deinterlace your footage for dvd with CS4. It throughs away half your vertikal resoution. CS5 deinterlaces much better.
By the way any dvd player or pc player will handle the dvd just fine.
For the web its ok to deinterlace with CS4.
Always set up a sequence that matches your footage and export as progressive.
No disrespect but I disagree with Ann.

If you're shooting at 30 or 24fps and exporting in progressive it gives a more "Movie Look" than interlaced footage. Think about it, when you see a movie in the Theater (Reel Movie, not digital) you are geting one frame at a time which is the same equivilant to Progressive output.

I play my Progressive videos on DVD all the time and I get NO "Verical Res" problems at all, so I'm not sure why Ann is.

The trick is to capture, edit and export all footage as progressive, dont capture as interlaced then export as progressive, that may be what Ann is talking about.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
So, then is there any good reason to shoot in 60i?
Hi Alex -

I think it comes down to personal choice, but there are good reasons to shoot 60i:

- even for HDTV, it's the standard;
- 24p can't compare for sports;
- 60i converts to 24p slow motion quite nicely (40% of original speed, at 1/2 the vertical resolution);
- it's more standardized than 24p / 24f - try getting Canon 24f footage off a tape with a Sony or JVC deck. Multiple shooters with different cameras will almost certainly benefit from 60i, at least from an editors perspective.

As a side note, I recently shot a band with two cameras - one a XHA1, the other a Panasonic GH1 (which shoots 24p in a 60i wrapper). When I went to review the footage, I realized the Canon was left in 60i, which is not what I wanted. However, the client preferred the Canon footage - he felt it had more of a "film look". I think he liked the fact that the motion was smoother though, and did not understand what I was calling a film look. Anyway, the point is, don't be so quick to write off 60i - some people actually prefer it...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Then I am right to shoot 60i for sports - with a fast shutter. Then I can choose to deinterlace in post for documentary look and slo-mo with no resolution loss?

In other words, I am hoping 60i footage offers the best versatility in output to different formats.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

If you shot in 60i, you should edit your project in Premiere in a 60i timeline. In Adobe Media Encoder, it will perfect deinterlace automatically if you export to a progressive output from an interlace timeline.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders