DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Using OnLocation to tape *and* HDD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/480458-using-onlocation-tape-hdd.html)

Larry Chapman June 15th, 2010 07:42 PM

Using OnLocation to tape *and* HDD?

I can't seem to find a way to get my XH-A1 using OnLocation CS5 to record to tape *and* the laptop HDD. It will record to the laptop HDD just fine, but as soon as I hit record on the XH-A1 to start the tape OnLocation hangs.

Anyone know how to make this work (or not)?

Mark Mapes June 18th, 2010 01:18 AM

I'm not sure why OL would stop recording when you start recording to tape. Assuming you're shooting HDV, OL should "spawn" a new clip, which is necessary because HDV cameras interrupt the video stream for an instant (until the start of the next GOP). So you'll end up with a second clip in OL, but it should continue recording.

A couple of things to try:
1) enable the Remote Control option, which causes OnLocation to start and stop recording in slave to the camera. With OnLocation not recording, start recording to tape.
2) Disable the Pre-Buffer (Preferences>Recording)

Do those changes make any difference in the behavior?

Larry Chapman June 19th, 2010 04:02 PM

Still no joy

Ok, did some more experimenting.

1) Already messed with the Remote Control option. No change in behavior.
2) Disabling the pre-buffer also made no difference.
3) Sony DCR-VX2100 works just fine with OL CS5.
4) Canon XH-A1 in SD mode works just fine with OL CS5.
5) Swapped 1394 cable (different brand, shorter length), no change.
6) XH-A1 must be connected to the computer and turned-on before OL is started or there is no video feed.
7) Misc. OL displays are all fine until the XH-A1 starts to record, then the OL screen freezes. If recording on the XH-A1 is stopped, OL seems oblivious. But OL will not terminate until the XH-A1 is turned-off because OL thinks it's still recording.

Sure seems like a basic XH-A1/OL incompatibility. That's why I'd love to hear from someone who has OL CS5 and an XH-A1 successfully working together.

Thanks.

Mark Mapes June 19th, 2010 04:40 PM

Laptop, huh? I'm guessing it has a built-in webcam. If so, please disable it and see if that keeps OL from hanging.
We found a bug very late in the game--too late to fix it--where OL hangs if a webcam is present and you attempt to record HDV.

Larry Chapman June 19th, 2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Mapes (Post 1540239)
Laptop, huh? I'm guessing it has a built-in webcam. If so, please disable it and see if that keeps OL from hanging.
We found a bug very late in the game--too late to fix it--where OL hangs if a webcam is present and you attempt to record HDV.

I found a thread somewhere before I even posted here that talked about that. The original behavior with the webcam enabled was even worse (no video ever). I disabled the webcam in the Device Manager. Still no joy. I noticed that OL still had a selection on the monitor window for "HP Webcam filter". Before it had that selection *and* "HP Webcam". So . . . . I un-installed the webcam software and the "HP Webcam filter" option went away. Now the only option that appears is for the XH-A1 "Canon Camcorder". After that I thought all was good, until I tried to record from the XH-A1.

So, there must still be some vestige of the webcam in the video chain somewhere?

Any thoughts on a service etc. I can look for? The laptop is an HP DV8T monster (quad core i7, 8Gb ram, 2 500Gb HDDS, Windows 7 Premium).

So far the rest of CS5 seems to run great on it.

Larry Chapman June 19th, 2010 05:49 PM

Solved!

Found a thread in the forums that pointed me to a 1394 driver update from HP. Installed it, and OL now works with my XH-A1 just fine. Here's the link:

JMicron 1394 Filter Driver HP HDX X16-1155CA Premium Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

You can also Google "sp45057.exe" if the link doesn't work.

Seems like this is an issue with HP DV7 and HP DV8 laptops.

Thanks for the attention Mark.

Peter Anastasopoulos June 20th, 2010 08:27 AM

Acer failure just like the HP laptops

OK Larry, I have a non recognition problem with my Acer fire wire (1394) but I thought we didn't need specific drivers for the XH to be recognised. Do I have that right? I have looked and cannot find driver updates for my acer laptop. Any help would be appreciated. p.s, I checked the Microsoft sites as well.

Larry Chapman June 20th, 2010 08:32 AM

I believe this issue is specific to HP laptops. You are correct, you should not need a specific driver for the XH-A1. You can always set a restore point, try the driver I mentioned and roll-back if it doesn't help.