Using OnLocation to tape *and* HDD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 15th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using OnLocation to tape *and* HDD?

I can't seem to find a way to get my XH-A1 using OnLocation CS5 to record to tape *and* the laptop HDD. It will record to the laptop HDD just fine, but as soon as I hit record on the XH-A1 to start the tape OnLocation hangs.

Anyone know how to make this work (or not)?
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Serious Magic

I'm not sure why OL would stop recording when you start recording to tape. Assuming you're shooting HDV, OL should "spawn" a new clip, which is necessary because HDV cameras interrupt the video stream for an instant (until the start of the next GOP). So you'll end up with a second clip in OL, but it should continue recording.

A couple of things to try:
1) enable the Remote Control option, which causes OnLocation to start and stop recording in slave to the camera. With OnLocation not recording, start recording to tape.
2) Disable the Pre-Buffer (Preferences>Recording)

Do those changes make any difference in the behavior?
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Still no joy

Ok, did some more experimenting.

1) Already messed with the Remote Control option. No change in behavior.
2) Disabling the pre-buffer also made no difference.
3) Sony DCR-VX2100 works just fine with OL CS5.
4) Canon XH-A1 in SD mode works just fine with OL CS5.
5) Swapped 1394 cable (different brand, shorter length), no change.
6) XH-A1 must be connected to the computer and turned-on before OL is started or there is no video feed.
7) Misc. OL displays are all fine until the XH-A1 starts to record, then the OL screen freezes. If recording on the XH-A1 is stopped, OL seems oblivious. But OL will not terminate until the XH-A1 is turned-off because OL thinks it's still recording.

Sure seems like a basic XH-A1/OL incompatibility. That's why I'd love to hear from someone who has OL CS5 and an XH-A1 successfully working together.

Thanks.
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Serious Magic

Laptop, huh? I'm guessing it has a built-in webcam. If so, please disable it and see if that keeps OL from hanging.
We found a bug very late in the game--too late to fix it--where OL hangs if a webcam is present and you attempt to record HDV.
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mapes View Post
Laptop, huh? I'm guessing it has a built-in webcam. If so, please disable it and see if that keeps OL from hanging.
We found a bug very late in the game--too late to fix it--where OL hangs if a webcam is present and you attempt to record HDV.
I found a thread somewhere before I even posted here that talked about that. The original behavior with the webcam enabled was even worse (no video ever). I disabled the webcam in the Device Manager. Still no joy. I noticed that OL still had a selection on the monitor window for "HP Webcam filter". Before it had that selection *and* "HP Webcam". So . . . . I un-installed the webcam software and the "HP Webcam filter" option went away. Now the only option that appears is for the XH-A1 "Canon Camcorder". After that I thought all was good, until I tried to record from the XH-A1.

So, there must still be some vestige of the webcam in the video chain somewhere?

Any thoughts on a service etc. I can look for? The laptop is an HP DV8T monster (quad core i7, 8Gb ram, 2 500Gb HDDS, Windows 7 Premium).

So far the rest of CS5 seems to run great on it.
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Solved!

Found a thread in the forums that pointed me to a 1394 driver update from HP. Installed it, and OL now works with my XH-A1 just fine. Here's the link:

JMicron 1394 Filter Driver HP HDX X16-1155CA Premium Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

You can also Google "sp45057.exe" if the link doesn't work.

Seems like this is an issue with HP DV7 and HP DV8 laptops.

Thanks for the attention Mark.
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #7
New Boot

Acer failure just like the HP laptops

OK Larry, I have a non recognition problem with my Acer fire wire (1394) but I thought we didn't need specific drivers for the XH to be recognised. Do I have that right? I have looked and cannot find driver updates for my acer laptop. Any help would be appreciated. p.s, I checked the Microsoft sites as well.
Peter Anastasopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I believe this issue is specific to HP laptops. You are correct, you should not need a specific driver for the XH-A1. You can always set a restore point, try the driver I mentioned and roll-back if it doesn't help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders