Loading a tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Loading a tape

Hey,
I recently bought a used XHA1 and wondering about the awkward loading/unloading of tapes....or if there's something wrong with mine.
The manual states slide the open/eject button and the tape compartment opens automatically. When I do this nothing happens unless I pull the door open and then the tape pops up. Is this normal or is the door supposed to open automatically also.
Thanks very much,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

30 people have viewed this and no one knows the answer?
Maybe I'm not being clear....if one slides the open/eject button does the door open by itself or do you have to pull it open?
Thank,
Randy
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

You have to pull it open.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Bill...I promise I'm not lazy, I just wanted to make sure it's not broken since it only has a couple of weeks warranty on it.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yep pull the door open. BTW this came up previously when someone loading the tape in a hurry closed the door before the transport had fully bottomed and jammed the tape.

When you load a tape make sure you push PUSH.
Cheers.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

so you push where it states "do not push"?
Just kidding, I'm guessing you mean push in toward the cam and not down.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes that would be right :-)

Its funny how instruction manuals often fail the obvious. I think they are sometimes (probably always) written by people who have been using the camera who think the 'simple' tasks are obvious and need no full explanation.

And they make mistakes (possibly manufacturers 'improvements) like my digital still camera that takes 4 AA batteries. The instruction book tells me to insert them one way, whereas the markers on the camera (which are correct) say to do it the opposite way.

However, I think my dad's old video recorder (one of those supermarket special offers made by some unknown Hong Kong manufacturers) the instructions were on a video cassette and if that wasn't enough, the first 20mins consisted of instructions in some far east language, needles to say there was no instruction on how to connect the VCR to the TV, and no mention that the Enlish instruction was some 20mins into the tape!
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

GR :))

Yep Phil, and the biggest clanger here is .. how the blazes did Canon manage to install the 2 A1 audio gain controls backwards .. so up is down and down is up!

How many quality control checks did that get passed and how freaked out are the workers not to rock the sampan?

Just shows the pressure they're all under and I think it's the same at all vid camera factories in this day and age.
Cheers.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Major Player

I posted a "LOL" but the forum stated I need to use at least 10 characters...so now maybe this will work...LOL!
Thanks,
Randy
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
GR :))

Yep Phil, and the biggest clanger here is .. how the blazes did Canon manage to install the 2 A1 audio gain controls backwards .. so up is down and down is up!

How many quality control checks did that get passed and how freaked out are the workers not to rock the sampan?

Just shows the pressure they're all under and I think it's the same at all vid camera factories in this day and age.
Cheers.
Allan, could you imagine the mess the A1/G1 would be in if Microsoft made it????
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Actually, I see nothing wrong in the way Canon set up the audio controls.

The 'small' to 'large' dots seem to me to be a clear indication as to how they work and the 'arrow' at the back is also a good guide.

Looking from the back, the controls are obviously set up as they would be if you were adjusting a 'slider'. Once you get your head around that it's easy.

Of course, I'm one of the odd ones who sees nothing wrong with the standby switch either. I use it all the time and find its location quite logical and very convenient.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Bill .. it still occasionally throws me and there was a lot of comment about this when the A1 first appeared. The A1s has 'corrected' it.
Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders