Advice for shooting theatre - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Guys .. with power off shut your eyes and feel for all the switches for a few minutes a day. eg: on the A1 dial the manual position is 4 clicks forward.

That does help learn 'em, especially for when you get in a rush in a low light situation. It works.

Cheers.
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Guys .. with power off shut your eyes and feel for all the switches for a few minutes a day. eg: on the A1 dial the manual position is 4 clicks forward.

That does help learn 'em, especially for when you get in a rush in a low light situation. It works.

Cheers.
Words from the wise...now if I could only find the discipline to follow through with those wise words!!!!!

Thanks Allan,
Randy

EDIT: I just marked my calendar M-F at 9am to learn cameras blindfolded (with lots of !!!!)... I will abide!!!!!!

Last edited by G. Randy Brown; July 19th, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add wisdom
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:13 AM   #18
Inner Circle

GR .. another thing to do is use a stopwatch and time how long it takes you to set the rig up ie: get all the stuff out of the car get it parked, gear into the venue, set the tripod up with the A1, maybe connect an external mic and lights up and quickly check it all.

The reason for this is if you get to a gig late, maybe a traffic snarl etc. the client is likely to say ..

'This is just great! where the blazers were you?'

After you explain they'll probably say 'Well Ok .. how long now before we video?

If you say, 'Sorry it'll just me a couple of minutes' and you take 10 or longer that's just going to make the client madder and the talent lose what's left of their confidence. Of course you'll get faster with experience but time it now.

And that's another reason to have a tape loaded and all checked prior. That goes for weddings, conferences, anything. HTH.
Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders