MAC recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Major Player

MAC recommendation

Im thinking about purchasing my first MAC for video editing. My current PC will not handle Premiere CS4 very well.

Ive looked at the "new" iMac and Mac Pro...both "equipped" are really pricey.

Would anyone using a Mac let me know which model and config you would suggest. I understand my current editing software will not work and would have to purchase new software. Im currently using (Premiere CS4) in a duo processor PC.

Just need some input to start looking deeper.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If I were you, I would buy a Windows 7 (64bit) rig with an i7 CPU and one of the MPE supported graphics cards. Then with the money you save on buying a PC, you can buy the upgrade to Premiere Pro CS5.

CS5 and Windows 7 is a great combination. I've been enjoying the speed and stability ever since I made the upgrade.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use a Macbook Pro, 2.33 with 4 GB ram, with Final Cut Studio; not premiere. I have a couple eSATA drives hooked up through the express card. The best part of course is that if I go on the road, my studio travels with me. It is probably on the lower end of what's available now; but works very well. I'll most likely upgrade within the upcoming year; but to another MBP!!!!
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #4
New Boot

Until recently, I have always preferred Windows based systems over Macs. My preference over Windows was just about any version of Linux, usually CentOS or Debian.

When Apple converted to the Intel architecture and OS X, it became much more appealing. Their hardware was always first rate, I just didn't like their old OS. Being a Unix derivative, OS X and the latest hardware are quite good.

At work I am compelled to use Windows. I have a modern Dell Windows 7 system that is comparable to my personal iMac 21.5" and/or my MacBook Pro 13" that I use on the road. I have similar software available on all of the machines, Adobe Suite CS4, MS Office, etc. I generally use Final Cut Express rather than Adobe Premier on my personal machines. I also have a personal Windows Vista laptop.

I can't provide numbers but both of my Macs are faster and more reliable than my Windows 7 system.

When the new Mac Pros become available, I am going to purchase one for personal use and let my wife have the iMac 21.5". She has a Windows 7 laptop and much prefers to use my iMac whenever she can pry me off of it.

Your mileage may vary,
Jeff
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Many thanks to all for replies...

I would like to stay with a PC and Adobe Premiere, just because Im familar with both. However, spending 2 or 3 grand on a new machine is a major decision and I want to get the best bang for the buck.

Ive been reluctant to venture into 64bit because of the cost of updating all my expensive video AND audio software. Ive decided to stay 32bit with audio (DAW using SONAR) and get a new computer dedicated to video...which would be 64bit Windows or MAC OS.

I tried using Premiere CS4 update and After Effects CS4 on my PC, ( duo2Intel with 3gig ram,sata drives etc)..it was a disaster...slow,crashes and so on. This forced me to go back to Premiere 2.0 . I would have thought my dualprocessor PC and ram would have handled CS4, but it wont. So money wasted again.

I do have a Dell "Studio" laptop with Windows 7 64bit. Im going to load it with the CS4 software, capture, and edit to see if it performs better than my current NLE setup. If so I may stay PC as suggested, if not, I may go the iMac route.

I just want to have a reliable NLE so that I can shoot and edit video...and not spend my time fixing problems with the NLE.

Im taking my time.....this time... and try to do my homework before buying another computer.

Your help is much appreciated....so keep it coming.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Hinson; July 29th, 2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add comment
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #6
New Boot

I recently went to the 21" imac with a 3.06 ghz processor, 4 gb ram, & the hd 4670 chip. Sure I'd like to have the 27" or dual screens or even a Mac Pro, but both Final Cut Studio 3 & the CS5 Master Collection have been running flawlessly for me. After seeing how this, now outdated, Imac handles FCP & After Effects without issues it might be a long time before i consider going back to a windows machine!
Gary Albertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Major Player

thanks Gary...
That's what Im hearing from many folks. The Mac "just works" ! I always have some type of issues editing video on my and other PCs. Especially since the CS Adobe series has been introduced. I purchased a CS4 upgrade and CS4 After Effects and could not get them to work without a zillion problems. Im hoping to solve that with a Mac in the near future.
I just think the MAC OS is geared for graphics, and windows PCs are always patching something here or there.

I cant afford the Mac Pro, but Im looking seriously at the iMac.

Thanks for the input,
Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders