Many questions.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Many questions....

This is kind of a "I need knowledgeable answers to my questions" thread.
how im just going to list my questions in order and maybe you have an answer :)
1.Whats a tripod i should get for 150$?
2.What other accessory should i get?
3.Is there a software i can install that is free so i can plug in my canon xh a1 and use my laptop as the camcorders monitor?
4.Is there any other way of my going tapeless without spending 700$??
Dominik Brandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Er.................

I was going to respond but realised it was so nasty as to have serioulsy disturbed the children and horses, not a good look.

Er, Dominik, read the bloody Forums!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Major Player

+1 for what Chris said....
1. No
2. For what kind of shoot? Tripod 1st, I would say.
3&4. Not that you'd want to use.

Why do you want to risk degrading the otherwise excellent results that the XHA1 can give you?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #4
New Boot

sorry ive actually look around the forums and by posting this i was hoping to get some different anwsers anyway how would i degrade my canon im just looking for a software so i can turn my laptops monitor into my canon's viewfinder because i have a hard time trying to focus in a small screen thats all
Dominik Brandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

For crying out loud.............

Will you just read the bloody Forums for Christsake!

Every question has been asked and answered a zillion times!

A tripod for $150 for a $3000 HD camera!

Your'e either a CH plant or a complete (deleted).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Return the camera to its rightful owner.

just kidding...

1. Tripod. For $150 dollars you will not be able to use the tripod for good panning shots. They will not be smooth. The more you zoom in, the worse it will look because of the jitteriness. Trust me. And this topic has been discussed many times. Make do without a tripod, or limit your shots to what you can do well, basically no panning.

2. Accessories. I have no idea. Depends on what you're planning to do with your camera. If funds are so tight, than only buy something when you get to the point where you decide it's a necessity. Don't just go out looking for attachments, etc. You can easily spend big money on microphones, batteries, carrying cases, etc. I normally buy extra batteries for everything I buy that is "portable". Without the juice, you're limited to the battery life of what came with your camera.

3. Software. Nothing for free that I'm aware of. You might want to download Canon's Console software. I think it still sells for $600 USD, but you can get a trial version with limited features. I don't think it's necessary for you to go that route. I have connected my Canon XL-H1 to a HDV recording deck and was able to use its larger screen for better focusing. I tried the firewire (IEEE1394) ports first, but there was about a 1-2 second delay in the recorder's display. I tried the S-Video connections and it was more like real-time, so it was a good solution. Your camera doesn't have S-Video, so maybe a computer capture device with component or composite connections will work. There may be too much processing required from the computer to eliminate the delay, I don't know. Another idea would be to find a DVD player with component or composite jacks and try that. Also, a portable DVD player is much more portable than a laptop.

4. Yes, take your IEEE1394 directly into your computer (assuming you have a sufficiently powerful computer) and you can go straight into your NLE software program, such as Sony Vegas, and it will record directly to your hard drive. If you're talking about the systems that plug right into the camera and attach to the camera, well, let us know if you find one for under $700. There's lots of interest in that sort of thing around here.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Wrangler

There is an Favorite Accessories thread under way - follow it.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...accessory.html

Brows the several forums here for tripods.

If you are looking for a serious tripod that can actually hold the camcorder steady, and at a $150 price point, look for used on eBay, etc. However, how good you need depend on what you are doing. For my purposes a Bogen 501 head on 3021 (probably discontinued) legs has worked well. About $320 for a similar set today, portable and not overkill for my purposes..
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Chastising Dominick does no good and I think takes away from all that this forum has to offer. Dominick this forum is a great place to get answers from once you understand its etiquette. People are usually encouraged to search the forum prior to asking a question that’s already been addressed. But like your self, I have asked repeat questions just to get a fresh take on things. Information can change quickly and what was the best answer a few months ago, may not be the best answer today. I think that Mark and Dons answers have gotten you off to a good start. PS. Welcome aboard.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders