Why shoot DV while you can downconvert HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Why shoot DV while you can downconvert HDV?

I did the mistake of shooting a short documentary with XHA1s set to DV, cause now I needed an HDV version of this short documentary but.. Alas! too late :(

So the question is, why Canon integrated DV shooting mode inside this HDV camcorders since you can easily down-convert HDV to DV using the camcorder's menu options?

A second one; I read somewhere in the forums (can't remember where exactly) that XHA1s always records interlaced HDV signal inside the tape even if you set it up to record DV!? is it true? if so, there will be a way to get HDV from DV :)

thanx
Abdessamad Idrissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Trustee

The DV mode allows for full backwards compatability. For example, you can hire out a Pro HDV camcorder for a day, shoot in DV mode, then capture the tape it later on using your old DV tape deck.

It's not an issue for those of us who shoot and capture from the same camera, but for those with tens of thousands of dollars tied up in gear (Universities, production houses) it is important that everything is backwards compatible. Sure, you can buy new HDV tape decks, but do you have enough spare cash to buy 10 new XH-A1s' and 10 new HDV decks as well?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanx John,
you got the answer for the first part of the proble (why shooting DV).

is there a way to "recover" the DV tapes into HDV?
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdessamad Idrissi View Post
...A second one; I read somewhere in the forums (can't remember where exactly) that XHA1s always records interlaced HDV signal inside the tape even if you set it up to record DV!? is it true? if so, there will be a way to get HDV from DV :)
I think I read that somewhere here as well a while back and was about to reply, but thought... "why bother" :-\

Anyway... they're quite mistaken and no... you shot DV and stuck with it. Sorry
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #5
New Boot

now got the full picure!

thanx guys.. I think, to correct this mistake I did, I need to read more about upsampling DV to HDV or downsampling HDV to DV cause I'll need it for sure :)
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Depending on what you cut with... BorisFX has a filter in their Continuum Complete plugin called Uprez that does this fairly well. They also have it in their BCC Units line where you can buy certain filters on a single basis.

Continuum Complete: Video Filters and Transitions Plugin
Uprez filter for Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, and Apple Final Cut Express

good luck
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders