Video noise in firewire port, Dell laptop, Canon XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 19th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Tourist

Video noise in firewire port, Dell laptop, Canon XHA1

I've got a BIG problem with trying to import/view/capture anything in HD from my Canon XHA1s on my Dell Studio XPS 1645 computer.

Whenever I try to view anything using HD through firewire, the video breaks up -- flashing green frames, lines through the video, dropped frames, etc. Basically it's digital noise. This has nothing to do with tape dropout, it happens just viewing the video straight from the camera (but it also happens on tape). Capture anything in DV, or downconvert to DV, and everything is all fine. It's only in HD that it screws up. It also works fine capturing to my rather old Win XP desktop video editing system (in HD).

Here's the setup:
1. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (but I've tried 32 bit and same thing happens).
2. Dell has replaced the motherboard -- same thing,
3. All drivers are up to date from Dell site.
4. Capture with either CS5 or CS3 does the same thing. It also happens using VLC to display the video, so it doesn't appear to be related to the particular software being used.
5. It does it with both an XHA1 and a new XHA1s.

When I first got this laptop about three months ago, I thought it worked, but now I'm not so sure (maybe I only used it on some SD video I was working on at the time). I haven't used it to try and capture video again until just last week, when I noticed the problem for sure. I don't have a lot of time to get this fixed, as I'm off to Australia for six months in just two weeks, and I was planning to use this laptop to do some quick captures and editing.

I've run out of options with Dell tech support. Has anyone any ideas that might work?
David Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try downloading free program HDVSplit, and use it to capture from tape off the Camera.

It will capture and split the capture files automatically, with minimum overhead on the computer system.

Also, suggest you try another firewire cable. A bad one can act freakishly.

If that doesn't work, I am guessing 1) Video memory/video card issues on system, or, 2) some kind of issue with firewire port either on computer system or camera.
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Tourist

I have an i7 dell xps laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the same issue with Sony Vegas Movie studio and my XHA1. I believe it is the embedded 1394 port. I am going to try another PC Card Firewire card. It has been frustrating trying to find the issue but I have another PC with no problems running CS4.
Chris Lupton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders