Shoe-mounted mic issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoe-mounted mic issues

I attach a Rode shotgun mic to the top of my XH-A1s for recording wedding receptions, using the accessory shoe.

The mic performs just fine from static tripod positions. However if I need to pick up the tripod and move to another location, it is virtually impossible to stop 'clattering' intrusions on the soundtrack as the tripod is placed back down on the floor, no matter how gentle I am.

In fact, even subtle adjustments to the camera functions made by hand while recording can be picked up by the shoe-mounted mic. One interesting intrusive sound is the bout of 'creaking' picked up if the mic wobbles at all within its mounting while panning etc - the Rode is suspended between elastic tethers presumably with the idea that it will minimise picking up the whirring mechanics of the camera if it is 'suspended'.

Does this issue affect anybody else using a shoe-mounted shotgun? I like the sound quality of the Rode, but it causes these problems on the soundtrack if I have to pick up and relocate the tripod (or even make certain on-camera adjustments). The built in camera microphone does not pick up such 'thumps' and 'rattles' when I make adjustments, but I find the shotgun superior in picking up voices from certain directions.

I'm considering abandoning the shoe-mount, and squeezing the Rode into the on-camera mic holder to see if that reduces these problems - it will just about slide in there, though some of the rear of the foam surround will be a bit crushed and the plastic 'body' of the mic will be sticking up at an odd angle.
Rob Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Which Rode and which mount?

Is the shock mount secure and providing adequate clearance between the mic and the frame and the mount frame? Is there any chance the noise is being mechanically coupled through the cable some how?
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's a Rode Videomic, mounted on top of my XH-A1s as we see here:-

Actually the first reviewer also complains of sound intrusion upon movement of the camera during filming.

All the rubber suspensions seem fine, and I don't think it's a cable issue at all.

The Rode Videomic is a good microphone, but I think it might be over-sensitive to picking up vibrations from the camera/tripod - at least compared to the on-board mic.
Rob Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Major Player

A little silicone spray will take care of the "creaking" sounds the Rode Videomic makes. It's actually coming from those little black rubber band things on the shockmount. Although I don't use a Rode on my XH-A1, they are attached to my B and C cameras, two HV-30s. After a while expect to have to replace the rubber bands on the Rode mounts. They deteriorate after a while, especially when shooting in the intense Florida sun.

I use a shotgun with an xlr connector on my A1. It doesn't have a shockmount like the Rode, but that hasn't caused any problems so far. The connection to the camera shoe is really secure and there is no rattling or bumping sounds, so I'm not really sure about the logic of the shock mount on the Rode Videomic, unless it's because the target market is consumer camcorders and mounting to flimsier shoes could be a problem. Just a guess. At any rate, the silicone spray will temporarily take care of the creaky squeaky sounds the Rode shockmount generates. It also helps the springs and rollers on my garage door. Silicone spray is good stuff to have around for squeaks.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: extra thoughts
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders