How to get this quality video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #16
Major Player

how do you delete a duplicate post.
_
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Hinson; October 27th, 2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: duplicate
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Major Player

Bill...
Id never thought of "gel" on the windows...thanks.

Perrone...
How did you find out which cam was used. I look around and could not find any techincal info on the video or who produced it. Source?
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
Perrone,
How/where did you find the information on the video. I searched a lot of different topics and could not come up with any technical info on the video or what company produced it.

Jeff
Trey Fanjoy was the director. Behind the scenes is quick, but it's available here:

YouTube - House That Built Me - Official Video - Behind The Scenes

Watch it in 1080p. You can clearly see the RED(s) on the shoot.
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Major Player

thanks much...will check it out.

edit:

Wow...wish it could have shown much more. Why was the lady taking video of the little girl with a cheap camcorder....was this for the 8mm type footage?

Please let me know if you find anymore "behind the scenes"...Im searching too.

Jeff
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Wow...wish it could have shown much more. Why was the lady taking video of the little girl with a cheap camcorder....was this for the 8mm type footage?
Yes.

Quote:
Please let me know if you find anymore "behind the scenes"...Im searching too.
I looked for a while. This is probably all that is available.
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Major Player

Trey Fanjoy works for this production company...
and many others.
[url=http://www.picturevisionpictures.com/2004/the-latest.php]Picture Vision Pictures: Home[/url

Jeff
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I've seen that effect tried in many video cameras with miserable failure. I'm curious how you'd go about replicating it
Is this the look you're referring to? See first image.

I just spent hours going through footage to try and find something like that scene, and this is the best I could come up with. See second image. I've never tried to do something like the music video. But now I'm tempted to try it. It seems I rarely shoot towards the sun.

Color temps are different in my video (I'm warm in this shot for obvious reasons) and I think if I had closed the aperture more I could have come a bit closer to the look from the video. I also wish the windows were a bit further away. They are only about 10 feet from the bride and couldn't be thrown out of focus.

My video has been desaturated and had soft focus applied in post.

I never meant to imply that the A1 could achieve the same look as a film cam or a RED.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get this quality video?-untitled.png   How to get this quality video?-still1027_00000.png  

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Bill...
Id never thought of "gel" on the windows...
Agreed. Nice video on a lot of levels. Most of the windows have ND gel on them. In a few there are NDs with orange or straw gels overtop. ND gelling wnidows is essential when you are getting serious about an indoor shoot with daylight bleeding in. You can buy the stuff in rolls expressly for this purpose. Good idea to find a place in your area that supplies "consumables" to the film industry and get to know them. If you want access to gel material this is the kind of place you want to go.

I for one would like to know the lighting recipe, as well, for the lighting blowout trick when the steadicam moves around and picks up the window as it passes behind her head.

If I were to attempt the muted color look I would try first to desaturate the image a bit and put a "cool" duotone to quadtone overtop and mess with the saturation and quadtone overlay until it got just so.

If you are outside of the US of A and can't see the video from the original posted link, try this one:

YouTube - Miranda Lambert - The House That Built Me
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wozniak View Post
Is this the look you're referring to? See first image.

I just spent hours going through footage to try and find something like that scene, and this is the best I could come up with. See second image. I've never tried to do something like the music video. But now I'm tempted to try it. It seems I rarely shoot towards the sun.

Ken...
Thanks for taking time to find this comparison...very enlightening.
It's funny how I "overlooked" the gel on the windows. It's especially "obvious" on the front door when its opening. The shot through the screen door is clear, while the view through the door is disfused.
Ive never took time to really look at pro videos before, but I will from now on.
Jeff
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Agreed. Nice video on a lot of levels..

I for one would like to know the lighting recipe, as well, for the lighting blowout trick when the steadicam moves around and picks up the window as it passes behind her head.

If I were to attempt the muted color look I would try first to desaturate the image a bit and put a "cool" duotone to quadtone overtop and mess with the saturation and quadtone overlay until it got just so.

YouTube - Miranda Lambert - The House That Built Me
Andrew....
I can desaturate with no problem, but I dont know about the duotone/quadtone overlay. Is this a matte I make within my NLE or is this an aftermarket item I can purchase.

It would be nice to find the "shooter(s)" of this video....to pick their brains a bit. I bet they check DVinfo from time to time.

Seems "gel" is used a lot..something I never noticed before.......in this video too.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGF9XyDbUYE&NR=1
Thanks,
Jeff
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #26
Major Player

Hi

Please help me! What is "gel"?

In my world it's something that is used in the hair. If I shold start to smear such gel over the windows, it probably will be the last film project I'll be trusted to do. :-)

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #27
Major Player

You never know BO...........try it...you may not have to load the trucks anymore. :>)
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall View Post
Hi

Please help me! What is "gel"?

In my world it's something that is used in the hair. If I shold start to smear such gel over the windows, it probably will be the last film project I'll be trusted to do. :-)

Regards,

/Bo
Coloured transparent plastic film. It comes in different thicknesses, etc. Heat-resistant stuff to go in filters in front of lights; thinner stuff to stretch over windows, etc. The name probably goes back to early days of theatre when it may have been made of gelatine - but that's just a guess!
Old October 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Andrew....
I can desaturate with no problem, but I dont know about the duotone/quadtone overlay. Is this a matte I make within my NLE or is this an aftermarket item I can purchase.
Not sure what editor you use. On the plugin side of things you could try what used to be called "55mm" but is now known as TIFFEN DFX version 2.0. It sells for $150. which is a screaming deal for what it does. For one you have access to the entire gel library for ROSCOE for doing color overlays and treatments. It does lots more.

Dfx V2 Product Features

The company that used to own DFX has a plugin suite called. Composite Suite Pro. It's more expensive but does some high end style tricks...

Composite Suite Pro
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #30
New Boot

My answer is yes

It's production skill. Aside from DOF, I say you could get dang close if you had a crew and they all had great skills at all aspects of motion picture production.

The main thing: good light. Its always about good light. If you're unsure about your light, you might as well assume that its inferior.
Matthew Nothelfer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders