"Remove the cassette" error message at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
New Boot

"Remove the cassette" error message

I have been shooting the Canon XH-A1s for the past 6 months using Sony DVM-60PR Premium Mini DV Cassettes. On several occasions I have received the "Remove the cassette" error message after rewinding the tape to begin capture.

When I pop the tape out and take a look, there is a small wrinkle at the beginning of the tape. If I manually crank the cassette forward a few seconds I am able to capture, but obviously miss that footage at the beginning of the cassette.

I bought the XH-A1s new from BHPhoto and have used new cassettes every time I have recorded. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
Ben Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi, Ben..............

There have been some posts in other forums (and other makes of camera) where this phenomina has been experienced.

The concensus is to always scroll a couple of minutes forward on a new tape before rolling money shots.

You can write colour bars if you like and find the optimum amount of pre - roll required.

Don't ask me why, it just happens.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Sorry Chris, I have to disagree respectfully with that advice, I have shot many hundreds of hours on DV and HDV mainly on Sony and Canon, but with a fair bit on other makes. Before that I used several different analogue tape formats for many years. In all of that time, the only scrunching of tapes I have encountered has come from equipment that was needing repair (schools are notorious for people dropping cameras), people failing to follow the correct method for loading and unloading tapes and one single JVC tape which seemed to self destruct. I should add I have had other tapes that cameras have refused to accept, so they didn't get the chance to be scrunched up.

I would have the camera checked out as, if the tapes (specially quality ones like the OP mentioned) are being correctly handed and loaded according to the camera instructions, then NO physical damage should be occurring. I would caution against ignoring the problem - or you may some day find a tape inextricably woven around the innards of the camera. That this will occur at the most inconvenient moment to the most irreplaceable footage in the most embarrassing circumstances you should have no doubts whatsoever.

I would also give one of the same batch of tapes to somebody else to try out in another camera just in case the tapes themselves are to blame, but that seems unlikely.

I do agree with the advice to run off a minute or so at the beginning of each tape using bars.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ben.

Everyone will notice as each DV tape rewinds they can hear the rewind motor slowing down as it nears the start. That's so the tape doesn't slam into its head at full speed and drop some slack, stretch or even break.

If as you say you can see a visible crinkle at the start of some tapes .. when those tapes stop rewinding, they don't come to rest sitting tight in dead straight alignment in the tape path in the transport.

There's some slack in those tapes so when you start them playing they're pulled sharply into the tape path alignment a split second before they play and rough contact with the tape guides causes damage (or a crinkle) on the tape surface. And/or maybe your A1 pinch roller is out of alignment or has perished .. with the same result.

You can keep using tapes as you're doing now and record 60secs of bars and tone and the head of each tape .. but it'll probably get worse over time and eventually total some recordings.

The solution is a trip into the shop where they'll re-align the transport, tighten up the tape start/stop/start sequence and adjust the brakes.

Include a description of what the trouble is .. you should have 6 months left on your new 12 month warranty. HTH.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; November 9th, 2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more detail.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the input

@Chris: Sounds like giving the tape a minute or so of bars is a good idea. Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and report the results.

@Allan and Colin: I'd hate to find that my camera is having a problem already seeing as I just bought it. I know Canon will cover the repair, but they won't cover the $100+ it is going to cost to ship it. That said, I agree with your advice that this is a problem that should not be happening and the camera needs a trip to the shop.

Feeling pretty dissapointed with my first Canon purchase.
Ben Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

No try not to feel that way Ben, it's a great camera.

I assume you've been loading your tapes properly and not closing the transport door to early.

A new A1s should be sold in pristine condition and seeing you bought it from BnH in NY, contact them first and tell them what's happening to your tapes. Over many years I've found BnH to be a great outfit to deal with.

Cheers.
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

Tape is cheap, and mass produced with only spot quality control on production runs (via random sampling). It is not unusual for some out of spec manufacturing variance to happen and not be detected except by end users (see the current issue with certain lots of Sony HDV tape).

If the issue only happens with certain brands or lots of tape, blame variations in tape. If it happens with most tapes of different brands, blame the camcorder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders