faded colors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 24th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
New Boot

faded colors

im using my canon xh a1 right now and i want to film a sunset but i have a question.
1.what settings do i use to make my camera see what my eye see's
2.How do i bring out the colors in my canon? presets?
btw i have the default settings on and the colors seem faded
ty
Dominik Brandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Look in the Custom Presets threads here on DVInfo for one named VividRGB. Give that one a try.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Major Player

VividRGB works great for me. It's the only Preset I use.

David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm a Panavision fan myself. The presets are a lot of fun and really make a difference. They sometimes pose problems with color correction or "Looks," but if you're not into that they are a big improvement over the stock setting.
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Bit O/T but .. it depends on the age of your A1, the first factory releases were 'flat' colours and ppl complained.

That's why the A1 custom presets got going in such a big way by folk who knew what they were doing. Later releases of the A1 had 'better' factory presets again but the CPs were/are well established and ppl have their favourites. ,

The last in the range, the A1s is better again with further improvements that make it worthwhile to look for. It and the HV40 are also the last DV tape cams from Canon.

I use mostly VIVIDRGB too, I can archive material to pull out for future programs with the 'same' look. With sunsets etc. a lot of ppl shoot factory flat and colour correct in post. Your call.

btw I watched an old Panasonic show I produced recently and it's rekindled my love for the Pana look .. I'm watching the AF100 closely.

Cheers.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm curious....

How does a person determine or judge the color quality of another persons camera?

If I am standing in a field of golden grain video taping a red car. How does another person determine after viewing the footage later, whether the colors are right? In the outdoors light. colors, and contrasts change minute by minute. So unless a person was right there, at that same time, how can a person make a call about the color accuracy of the camera?

I'm curious. What's the formula for making the determination whether the colors were accurate or not?

In a controlled indoor shoot I can understand. But outside?

Just curious.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

My 2c and way O/T :) David the point is whether the viewer accepts what they see .. or not. imo getting bogged down in tech details like color accuracy, means you're not appreciating or understanding the overall story.

An example is the artist Monets series of paintings of haystacks, each one painted at a different time of day .. with the light changing minute by minute.

No one ever questions whether his colours are accurate or not, not because we weren't there to see the actual colors .. but because we accept that each painting is Monets interpretation of the haystack, colours and all.

Cheers.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #8
Major Player

I don't want to the colors that my eye sees on the day of the wedding, those are pretty dreary. I want the "inaccurate" colors that the photographer cranks out and gets paid $9000 for.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders