Sound questions of XH-A1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound questions of XH-A1s

Occasionally I borrow this camera from a colleague when we film their concert performances. I have very little experience with it, but I've noticed some issues with the sound on it when operating in HDV.

I have to dump the tapes into Premiere CS5 which usually goes without a hitch, but I've noticed a couple things happen:

1. I'm running a stereo mix into the camera, but the audio in Premiere is in Mono. Seems like a mono sum rather than one side only. I have audio on both channels, but it is the same.

2. A couple tapes have dumped without audio recorded at all. When the camera was running, saw levels and everything. In one case, the first half of the show was mute and the second half was in mono. The only thing that changed was the tape.

My question is as follows- are these camera issues or Premiere issues? Being that I'm not very familliar with the camera, I'm not sure if we have something set incorrectly. What seems very strange is the video that had no sound...

Ideas?

-Ben
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sound questions of XH-A1s

If you can play all the tapes on the A1s, listen on headphones and find the stereo audio is as it should be .. right to the end, then the issue is with Premiere or the way you're capturing it.

You list a number of problems and I assume you're capturing from the A1s not from another cam and using USB? Try using another Firewire cable, don't buy one off Ebay.

Cheers.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Allan. I've never had this problem with pulling stereo audio from the XHA1 into PPro CS2 through 5. Check your project presets and also check your default audio settings in preferences.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Once you capture your footage into Premiere Pro, do you "see" the audio track and just don't hear it, or is it a flat line?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It wasn't there- no waveforms whatever.

Still haven't had a free moment to check the original tapes.

--Ben
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So I finally had a moment to check the tapes. The sound on the tapes is a mono sum of what I was feeding it. Not sure why that was happening. I don't have a manual to this camera and it isn't mine so I don't use it often. I checked the settings that I could find, but I couldn't find anything that outwardly looked like in HDV, it should sum audio to mono.

Is there a manual online that I could have access to or is there somewhere that you would suggest to find such a setting?

--Ben
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Manual available here:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : XH A1S

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders