XLR Input faulty. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Major Player

XLR Input faulty.

Ive been using the A1 professionally for over 2 years now.
I recently sent it into Canon UK for a service. They included in the quote
for a new upper handle. (I had broken my mic holder). I also had a tape carriage mechanism replacement.
When I got it back just over a month ago everything appeared fine.
Went on my first job of the season yesterday only to realise the XLR inputs arent working.
I can only assume its since the replacement of the upper handle.
My question is, could I be missing something to solve this before I contact them?
Obviously I used the menu to change to XLR input but I have absolutely no levels/ sound whatsoever from connected external mic and external wireless (both of which are working perfectly).
The onboard mic works fine when its in that mode but nothing from an external XLR source. When I got the camera back there had been a complete reset to factory defaults so Im just wondering if there is possibly a setting disabling it.

Im 99.9% certain its faulty but Im checking if Im missing something that could be deep in the menus.

Anybody?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XLR Input faulty.

Ger,

Something similiar happened to me which I won't go into but when you go to audio set up after a reset there are three things you need to look at. When you set from internal to xlr you need to check that the setting above (output Ch) and below (XLR rec ch) are also set correctly.

If you have set manual audio levels check to make sure they aren't set to zero. (left rear of camera) and that phantom power is on/off as required. It's probable that during the reset something got changed that you set and forgot or something to that effect. Hope this helps!
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: XLR Input faulty.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply,
I tried every combination of those switches imaginable on the morning just before the job.
Interesting when I plug a minjack into the mic in it doesnt take over either. Its defiantely a fault.
Its gone back in since yesterday anyway so hopefully it will be fixed and back to me before my next wedding (18th march)
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders