Spots during capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Spots during capture

The attached frame is during a controlled shoot inside with two soft boxes. I hope you notice the spots against the black background in the attachment. I had cleaned my UV filter before using. Is it dirt on the lens, inside the lens or some other abnormality?
Attached Thumbnails
Spots during capture-spots.jpg  
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Spots during capture

It looks to me like dried water droplets on the lens, or on the uv filter you had cleaned. Sometimes I've had trouble cleaning those kind of droplets off, not only my cameras, but also my eyeglasses, scuba masks, etc. By trouble I mean thinking that I've gotten it all off, because the dried droplets can be hard for me to see. I doubt that it's inside the lens.

You weren't filming near the ocean were you? Sweat droplets are similar since they are both salt water.
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Wrangler

Looks like something on the lens, Likely an outer surface, and it maybe very subtle.

The issue is that the depth of field is so large, and the outer most optical path surface so far from the the center of the lens, anything on the surface can leave a blurred artifact in the image, especially if brignt direct or reflected light hits the spot. The black background is perfect for bringing it out.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Major Player

The problem is my Hoya UV Filter. Many people complain about difficulty in cleaning Hoya. If someone knows a way to clean the Hoya filter I would appreciate a solution. The only other alternative is no filter.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've got Hoya's on both my XL1s and XH A1.

I just use a solvent spray from my optician, designed for cleaning spectacle lenses and the cloth that comes with every pair of glasses I've ever owned (which is quite a few).

Works for me, no spots, no smears, no scratched coating, nada.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

The reason I stopped using UV filters was this. Like a reflection on the lens. That's what it looks like to me.
Bill
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Major Player

I purchased a liquid that takes off most of the spots on my UV filter but I am going to go with Bill's advice. No filter.
Old September 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Wrangler

Install a filter only when you need it for sure for lens protection, such as wild parties with spraying carbonated liquids or close shots of babies enjoying their meals

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders