Shutter Speed For Lightning Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Shutter Speed For Lightning Video

I am going to Arizona to shoot the monsoons at the end of the month. I would like to know what a good shutter speed setting would be for lightning video.
Ezra Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Shutter Speed For Lightning Video

You missed a good storm last night! I was only doing photos off my back porch. Managed to catch about half a dozen before the rain kicked into overdrive!

What type of effect are you going for? I usually don't have the shutter on.

Normally I try to stay away from the storm to get some landscape perspective in the shot so I don't need to choke the light down. Shoot as normal.

If you were trying to get closer shots might experiment with higher shutter speeds.
Are you doing the clinic in Tucson?

BTW...here's an interesting thread about CMOS cameras and lightning video. Essentially it says it's not a good mix due to the rolling shutter effect.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...g-footage.html
Once again, since I'm a good ways off the storms, I haven't had an issue but if you were closer, might want to make sure you have a CCD based camera!
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Not doing the clinic. I am going the same weekend they are having it though. I normaly have my video camera at 1/60 or 1/90. I want to be able to get a good shot of the lightning bolt. So if I am a good distance away do you think those shutter speeds are ok?
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Trustee

What camera are you using? Oops! Just realized what the category was! Should be fine with those settings
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5
New Boot

Canon XHA1s. Do you think there is any benifit to go with the clinic? I can just track the storms myself. I did however pick that week because I saw the clinic picked that week.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Trustee

I've been doing photos and some video stormchasing for a while now and I think I get good results. Alister is "the man" though when it comes to this stuff and if I had the time I'd do it in a heartbeat! Especially since it's only a 90 minute drive!
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Major Player

I think it is best to have the shutter open all the time in order to capture every bit of the lightning. So I would prefer 1/60 over 1/90.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...-lighting.html
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders