DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Spot the XHA1 clips in 7D film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/499190-spot-xha1-clips-7d-film.html)

Ian S Lewis August 4th, 2011 03:38 AM

Spot the XHA1 clips in 7D film

Can you spot the XHA1 clip hidden inside this film made on the Canon 7D?

Wedding Videos by Dana Video Productions | Making a Wedding Video

Tariq Peter August 4th, 2011 04:55 AM

Re: Spot the XHA1 clips in 7D film

Hi,

I have a XHA1 and looking to one day purchase a 7D ofcourse after a sell everything I own ;) Your work is great. When I pan using XHA1 on 25p it never seems smooth, did you use 25p and am I right in thinking that you can mix 7D and the XHA1 25p footage in the same timeline?

Jeff Hinson August 4th, 2011 06:14 AM

I assume all the DOF effects shots were with the 7d..others with the A1. Unless 35mm adapter was used.

Beautiful job!
Jeff

Christopher Icha August 4th, 2011 03:06 PM

should the question read: Spot the 7D clip in the XHA1 film? They mostly look like XHA1 to me... maybe not the stiletto shots.

Noa Put August 4th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Peter (Post 1672431)
am I right in thinking that you can mix 7D and the XHA1 25p footage in the same timeline?

I have done a edit with 4 camera's some time ago, a sony fx1000 which shot in 1440x1080interlaced, a canon xh-a1 that shot in 1440x1080progressive, a 550d that shot in 1920x1080progressive and a sony xr520 that shot in 1920x1080interlaced. I edit in Edius pro 5 and I can throw it all on the timeline without any worries, I can choose to start a interlaced or a progressive project with either 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 dimension and go out to dvd, web, blu-ray in progressive or interlaced and it looks great all the time. I always convert to the canopus HQAVI codec before I start editing.

About 25p not being smooth on a xh-a1, that's normal for progressive footage, it will look the same for any camera that records "only" 25 frames/second, you just need to pan more slowly or record 50I (or 50p if your camera supports it.)

Eventhoug a xh-a1 can allready be considered "old school" it's a very capable camera that still produces great footage when light conditions are good, matching a xh-a1 footage with a dslr is not always easy, depends which type of lens you use and if you film with a flat picture style on the dslr. My samyang 14mm lens is easy to match up with th exh-a1 but my nikon lenzes not.

Ian S Lewis August 5th, 2011 04:56 AM

The only clip was the speeches "devonshire cream" clip - all the others were 7D. Thanks for the kind words. Re everything looking like XHA1 footage - I love my old HDV camera, but could rarely pull these kinds of shots with it. Equally, I do not like to use tight DOF shots all the time as they are for effect and I feel are massively overused by many others (to the detriment of their films as they end up 90% out of focus and/or racking past the critical point). I like to get a look that is similar to my eye most of the time - if I am looking at something far away, all of it is in focus; closer then I want the background just a tad out of focus to keep emphasis on my subject. Horses for courses though.