Spot the XHA1 clips in 7D film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 4th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Spot the XHA1 clips in 7D film

Can you spot the XHA1 clip hidden inside this film made on the Canon 7D?

Wedding Videos by Dana Video Productions | Making a Wedding Video
Ian S Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Spot the XHA1 clips in 7D film

Hi,

I have a XHA1 and looking to one day purchase a 7D ofcourse after a sell everything I own ;) Your work is great. When I pan using XHA1 on 25p it never seems smooth, did you use 25p and am I right in thinking that you can mix 7D and the XHA1 25p footage in the same timeline?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I assume all the DOF effects shots were with the 7d..others with the A1. Unless 35mm adapter was used.

Beautiful job!
Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #4
New Boot

should the question read: Spot the 7D clip in the XHA1 film? They mostly look like XHA1 to me... maybe not the stiletto shots.
Christopher Icha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
am I right in thinking that you can mix 7D and the XHA1 25p footage in the same timeline?
I have done a edit with 4 camera's some time ago, a sony fx1000 which shot in 1440x1080interlaced, a canon xh-a1 that shot in 1440x1080progressive, a 550d that shot in 1920x1080progressive and a sony xr520 that shot in 1920x1080interlaced. I edit in Edius pro 5 and I can throw it all on the timeline without any worries, I can choose to start a interlaced or a progressive project with either 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 dimension and go out to dvd, web, blu-ray in progressive or interlaced and it looks great all the time. I always convert to the canopus HQAVI codec before I start editing.

About 25p not being smooth on a xh-a1, that's normal for progressive footage, it will look the same for any camera that records "only" 25 frames/second, you just need to pan more slowly or record 50I (or 50p if your camera supports it.)

Eventhoug a xh-a1 can allready be considered "old school" it's a very capable camera that still produces great footage when light conditions are good, matching a xh-a1 footage with a dslr is not always easy, depends which type of lens you use and if you film with a flat picture style on the dslr. My samyang 14mm lens is easy to match up with th exh-a1 but my nikon lenzes not.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #6
New Boot

The only clip was the speeches "devonshire cream" clip - all the others were 7D. Thanks for the kind words. Re everything looking like XHA1 footage - I love my old HDV camera, but could rarely pull these kinds of shots with it. Equally, I do not like to use tight DOF shots all the time as they are for effect and I feel are massively overused by many others (to the detriment of their films as they end up 90% out of focus and/or racking past the critical point). I like to get a look that is similar to my eye most of the time - if I am looking at something far away, all of it is in focus; closer then I want the background just a tad out of focus to keep emphasis on my subject. Horses for courses though.
Ian S Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders