XHA1s and HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1
New Boot

XHA1s and HV20

Apologize if covered before. checked previous posts and did not find.
Shot event with both cameras. Editing with FCP.
If I replay HV20 tapes in XHA1s will FCP capture 1920 footage from HV20 as 1440 when played in
XHA1s or do I have to use compressor or convert to pro res files? In other words can I simply capture tapes recorded on HV20 but captured from XHA1s?
Also, I get a grey bar across footage when capturing from XHA1s. When editing footage is fine.
Have 5 hours footage, trying to save time. Any input appreciated. Thanks
Bill Sparkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XHA1s and HV20

Hi, Bill.................

The HV 20 and XH A1s capture exactly the same format footage, no change.

So, no need to do anything different for HV 20 footage tranfered via the other cam, tho' most people do it the other way 'round and transfer XH footage via the HV 20 (Why? Running an HV 20 into the ground [as if!] is a damn sight cheaper than running an XH ditto).

As for the grey bar (on what, exactly, the camera lcd, the pc?), can't shed any light, but if it looks good in edit, why worry?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: XHA1s and HV20

All HDV footage, from whatever camera, is 1440x1080 (oblong pixels to give 16:9 image). That's part of the HDV standard. As Chris says, lots of us use HV10/20/30/40 as an HDV deck and and occassional B-roll camera to save a little on XH-A1 head-wear. It works well :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders