CF Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Major Player

CF Cards

I've searched but don't see any recent info re. cf card recorders for the XHA1. Is the DN60 still the best option or is there something else on the market now?
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: CF Cards

I have two DN60's and they work well with my xh-A1 but you must follow a specific routine to get them to work everytime.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Bill,

Check my findings with the DN60 and Firestore FS CF Pro here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavide...n60-xha1s.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavide...ml#post1642398
(have a look at topic #42)

The DN60 is a good and affordable solution but it didn't work for me. A lot more expensive but highly recommended is the FS CF Pro. Works excellent, I hardly use tapes anymore.

Regards,
Stany

Last edited by Stany Hermans; February 4th, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Stany Hermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As far as I know you can't buy them new anymore and I think they are also hard to find second hand but I am still using a hvr-dr60 and it has served me very well for 2,5 years now. I can let it run for 4,5 hours untill it's full on one big sony battery. I know it's no "cf" recorder but harddisc but it almost looks sony had the xh-a1 in mind when they designed it :) as long as you give the harddisc the time to power up completely and don't press the camera record button before it does it functions flawlessly
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Major Player

The DN-60's work great. Firestore makes a great product but the DN-60 does the job for better than half the price.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Major Player

JUST got a DN-60 shipped from B&H to Canada to go with my original XHA1. I was very worried that the DataVideo website has a small blurb mentioning that it worked with XHA1 firmaware version 1.0.0.1.

I had a lump in my throat after placing the order and THEN checking my camera firmware version...it was 1.0.0.0

As I waited for the order I rationalized that it should still work at least in it's recording ability as it is simply capturing the HDV output. Other functions like sync to tape and auto on may not be supported but I was mostly worried it simply wouldn't work at all. Considering that my camera is getting older I am having issues with tape dropouts and do not want to go to the extreme hassle/cost of shipping it to Canon for servicing and be down my main camera for an extended period.

Soon as the DN-60 arrived I tested it out and confirmed that it does record fine with my camera firmware and see's all the HDV formats 60i, 24f,30f. This is using the DN-60 to start/stop recording and I have not tested it with syncing to tape yet.

My only issue currently is trying to source a angled 6/4 pin fireware cable. The one shipped with the DN-60 is angled at the 6 pin end that attaches to the unit but I would like both ends angled so I can tape it off at the camera to add security to what may be a fairly fragile camera connection.

James

Last edited by James Hooey; February 14th, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: changed for accuracy
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Major Player

I use Comprehensive 6 pin to 4 pin retractable ribbon from BH. Work great.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders