DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Camera wouldn't turn on. XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/513167-camera-wouldnt-turn-xh-a1.html)

Arthur Abramov January 5th, 2013 02:21 AM

Camera wouldn't turn on. XH-A1

The DV Icon on the turning wheel is blinking blue. the screen in not lit. the camera won't turn on, tried with battery and the AC cable.

what do i do?

Jim Schuchmann January 5th, 2013 07:40 AM

Re: Camera wouldn't turn on. XH-A1

Have you checked the Lock/Standby switch lever that surrounds the record button by the hand strap?

Arthur Abramov February 28th, 2013 09:00 PM

yes i did, doesn't respond. brought it to a canon lab. they told me that the PCB CAMSWITCH had broken.

Allan Black March 2nd, 2013 03:39 PM

Bad luck Arthur: let's know where you get it fixed, how much and any other details.

If you haven't already got it, ask them to fit the free Canon replacement carry strap support,
or whatever it's called .. it should still be available.

Cheers.

Helio Couto March 21st, 2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov (Post 1781744)
yes i did, doesn't respond. brought it to a canon lab. they told me that the PCB CAMSWITCH had broken.

Hi Arthur,
I wonder if you could fix your canon, what the problem was and how much it cost. I'm having the same problem and still can not fix because here where I live there is no authorized service canon.

Sherman Bahr May 21st, 2013 07:30 PM

Is it like that in VCR mode as well? If it is you might be having problems with the power regulator circuits which are on the main circuit board. If it does power up VCR mode and you are just having problems in camera mode, I have seen issues with the lens as well as camera circuits. I am a tech that works on these cameras on daily basis and would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Sherman Bahr May 21st, 2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Schuchmann (Post 1771332)
Have you checked the Lock/Standby switch lever that surrounds the record button by the hand strap?

If the standby/lock lever was set to lock he would not be getting a blue blinking DV light.

Colin McDonald April 8th, 2014 10:52 AM

Well I've got the Blinking Blues as well. Same symptoms, batteries or DC coupler, any position of the power dial, reset doesn't fix it. Bummer!

I contacted Canon UK and arranged to have it looked at, and I will report back when I hear what it will cost.
I mentioned the warranty fix of the grip belt base and I was told just to add it to the job list on the form.

Colin McDonald June 27th, 2014 11:51 AM

When I eventually got round to sending it in the Canon, at first they thought was just fuses, but it did it again on test and it was going to need a new main board and sensor array. I had little difficulty in turning down their estimate of £1089!

Now I have a paperweight with a nice lens, new handgrip fitted under recall and a nicely tightened up onboard mic. :-)

The only good news was the minimal inspection fee as the camera had been well looked after and there being no water intrusion etc.

Don Palomaki June 27th, 2014 03:55 PM

Sounds like an E-Bay "as is" offer that maybe of interest to a techie who might want it for parts.

Maurice Covington June 30th, 2014 04:26 PM

I saw that Ebay post and bid it but was edged out in the last seconds. I'm glad that I lost that bid. :-)

Colin McDonald June 30th, 2014 04:37 PM

Sorry, don't understand that post. Just to be clear, I have not made any eBay post concerning my XH-A1 or anything else for that matter. Apologies if I have missed an obvious joke or reference.

Don Palomaki July 1st, 2014 05:10 AM

An Ebay (or similar) "AS-IS" sale is one way to get a bit of coin for a camcorder (or other item) that is beyond economical repair or otherwise unusable for its intended purpose. There are techies who will buy such items for usable parts, or people who have alternate uses for the item. One example is a camcorder with bad tape transport sold for use in live camera mode only. While there is a touch of humor (to some folks at least) in the post it is not intended a joke.

It often happens with used cars, someone who likes to work on cars will buy a junk car for parts to support their same make/model daily driver.

Colin McDonald July 1st, 2014 05:39 AM

Don, thanks for the full explanation but it was not your post which confused me - it was the one after (Maurice's) which said

Quote:

I saw that Ebay post and bid it but was edged out in the last seconds. I'm glad that I lost that bid. :-)
I don't use eBay at the moment, but I'd prefer not to have that come up on a Google search for my name and eBay! :-)

Maurice Covington July 1st, 2014 12:23 PM

Apologies Colin, there was some humor but I think that I misread Don's post. For the record, I still use the XHA1 today among other cameras.