Camera wouldn't turn on. XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 5th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera wouldn't turn on. XH-A1

The DV Icon on the turning wheel is blinking blue. the screen in not lit. the camera won't turn on, tried with battery and the AC cable.

what do i do?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Camera wouldn't turn on. XH-A1

Have you checked the Lock/Standby switch lever that surrounds the record button by the hand strap?
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes i did, doesn't respond. brought it to a canon lab. they told me that the PCB CAMSWITCH had broken.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Bad luck Arthur: let's know where you get it fixed, how much and any other details.

If you haven't already got it, ask them to fit the free Canon replacement carry strap support,
or whatever it's called .. it should still be available.

Cheers.
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
yes i did, doesn't respond. brought it to a canon lab. they told me that the PCB CAMSWITCH had broken.
Hi Arthur,
I wonder if you could fix your canon, what the problem was and how much it cost. I'm having the same problem and still can not fix because here where I live there is no authorized service canon.
Helio Couto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Is it like that in VCR mode as well? If it is you might be having problems with the power regulator circuits which are on the main circuit board. If it does power up VCR mode and you are just having problems in camera mode, I have seen issues with the lens as well as camera circuits. I am a tech that works on these cameras on daily basis and would be happy to point you in the right direction.
Sherman Bahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schuchmann View Post
Have you checked the Lock/Standby switch lever that surrounds the record button by the hand strap?
If the standby/lock lever was set to lock he would not be getting a blue blinking DV light.
Sherman Bahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Well I've got the Blinking Blues as well. Same symptoms, batteries or DC coupler, any position of the power dial, reset doesn't fix it. Bummer!

I contacted Canon UK and arranged to have it looked at, and I will report back when I hear what it will cost.
I mentioned the warranty fix of the grip belt base and I was told just to add it to the job list on the form.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Trustee

When I eventually got round to sending it in the Canon, at first they thought was just fuses, but it did it again on test and it was going to need a new main board and sensor array. I had little difficulty in turning down their estimate of £1089!

Now I have a paperweight with a nice lens, new handgrip fitted under recall and a nicely tightened up onboard mic. :-)

The only good news was the minimal inspection fee as the camera had been well looked after and there being no water intrusion etc.
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Wrangler

Sounds like an E-Bay "as is" offer that maybe of interest to a techie who might want it for parts.
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Major Player

I saw that Ebay post and bid it but was edged out in the last seconds. I'm glad that I lost that bid. :-)
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Sorry, don't understand that post. Just to be clear, I have not made any eBay post concerning my XH-A1 or anything else for that matter. Apologies if I have missed an obvious joke or reference.
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:10 AM   #13
Wrangler

An Ebay (or similar) "AS-IS" sale is one way to get a bit of coin for a camcorder (or other item) that is beyond economical repair or otherwise unusable for its intended purpose. There are techies who will buy such items for usable parts, or people who have alternate uses for the item. One example is a camcorder with bad tape transport sold for use in live camera mode only. While there is a touch of humor (to some folks at least) in the post it is not intended a joke.

It often happens with used cars, someone who likes to work on cars will buy a junk car for parts to support their same make/model daily driver.
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:39 AM   #14
Trustee

Don, thanks for the full explanation but it was not your post which confused me - it was the one after (Maurice's) which said

Quote:
I saw that Ebay post and bid it but was edged out in the last seconds. I'm glad that I lost that bid. :-)
I don't use eBay at the moment, but I'd prefer not to have that come up on a Google search for my name and eBay! :-)
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Major Player

Apologies Colin, there was some humor but I think that I misread Don's post. For the record, I still use the XHA1 today among other cameras.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders