DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which SSD capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/520096-ssd-capture.html)

Larry Secrest November 17th, 2013 11:17 AM

Which SSD capture

I love my XH-A1, the more I use it the more I love it.
I'm thinking about eventually buying a pocket BMCC for narrative but for small docs nothing beats the A1.

I'd like to get rid of the tape, for many reasons.
I was wondering if somebody could tell me what they think of the options below. I'm not trying to capture to higher resolution, just bypassing the tape.

DN-60 Field Recorder

Firestore FS H200

Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2

Can anybody recommend one?
Thanks
Larry

Noa Put November 17th, 2013 12:47 PM

Re: Which SSD capture

I have had a sony hvr-dr60 for a few years with my xh-a1, great piece of hardware and worked without a issue on the canon. When I was recording to it I ran a tape as back up, I could see 2 dots on the viewfinder indicating it was recording to both, I also could record to the dr60 only without having to insert any tape, it almost looked the recorder was made for the canon.

Erick Munari November 17th, 2013 02:02 PM

Does it attach it straight to the A1 through Firewire? Does it bypass the internal HDV codec? I'm about to sell the A1, but maybe not?

Larry Secrest November 17th, 2013 04:11 PM

The sony hvr-dr60 is no longer available

Peter Adler November 18th, 2013 10:33 AM

I am sure a used one will work as well, although I find this price on Amazon a bit steep:

Amazon.com: Sony HVR-DR60 60GB Hard Disk Recorder for Compatible Sony HDV and DVCam Camcorders: Camera & Photo

Good luck and keep us posted!

All the best,

Peter

Peter Adler November 18th, 2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Munari (Post 1821099)
Does it attach it straight to the A1 through Firewire? Does it bypass the internal HDV codec? I'm about to sell the A1, but maybe not?

Erick,

The DN-60 and the Firestore will connect to the Firewire connector and record HDV video from the camera

To use the Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2, you'll need a converter.

I like the Blackmagic solution but I admit it is a fairly big and heavy box to carry around.

Peter

Noa Put November 18th, 2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Munari (Post 1821099)

Think the possibilities fo finding a used hvr-dr60 are small, the recorder would store the same footage as you would find back on tape, so nothing uncompressed or other format, it connected through the firewire connection of the camera.

Peter Adler November 18th, 2013 11:40 AM

The Amazon link I posted above is exactly that: a used hvr-dr60. If you are willing to pay the price, $800, is another story...

Noa Put November 18th, 2013 11:55 AM

That's way overpriced, 400 dollar would be the max I would pay for this.

Roger Van Duyn November 18th, 2013 12:54 PM

I've been using a couple of DN-60s with my Canon XH-A1 and XH-A1S. So far, they've worked great with both cameras. In fact, I no longer bother with tape at all.

One caveat, I did have problems with a CF card not on the approved list that I picked up at the local camera shop. I have several SanDisk Extreme 32 GB cards that have all worked flawlessly. Plus, each unit came with an included 16GB SanDisk CF Card.

Chris Medico November 18th, 2013 01:05 PM

I have a full functional hvr-dr60 that I would part with.

Mark Watson November 19th, 2013 12:21 AM

Larry,

I have the Focus Enhancements FS-CF recorder. It works great with my HV-30 and XL-H1A. I got it to future proof my HDV cameras due to lack of firewire ports on new laptops. It's a quality piece of hardware with lots of extra functions. It can start automatically when you press record on the camera. Whatever you decide on, I'd recommend you get something that has this ability.

Mark Watson

Edit: I have the FS-CF Pro model.

Noa Put November 19th, 2013 02:16 AM

The hvr-dr60 could also be started and stopped with the camera record button, it's biggest disadvantage was it's first start-up time which was about 12 seconds before you where able to record but it's biggest advantage was that once it was rolling (starting and stopping to record was without delay then) you could go on for hours on a single big Sony battery, battery life was exceptional.

Larry Secrest November 19th, 2013 07:37 AM

Thanks, everybody.
From what I can understand now, the Black Magic device needs several adapter. It's cheaper upfront, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.
I'm leaning in favor of either the DN-60s, or the VITEC FS-H200 Pro Portable Compact Flash DTE Recorder.
I've just discover that Canon does have a solution called: Canon FS-CF Pro Portable Compact Flash DTE Recorder.

Erick Munari November 26th, 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1821238)
I have a full functional hvr-dr60 that I would part with.

Hi Chris, may I ask, how much?