Can't Import video in HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Can't Import video in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Which chip set does the firewire card have? Some were probloematic.
The TI chip sets were generally the most trouble free.
"VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" is what comes up when I let Windows 7 automatically select a driver.

Quote:
I've also used HV20 and HV40 to play noth with XHA1 SD and HDV recordings.

Can you capture SD recordings from the XHA1?
I will have to test that. I'll grab and older SD tape at lunch but my gut says no since if I put the camera in SD mode the OS still doesn't "see" the camera. The odd blinking stuff in the camera menus still make me thing there's a short or something in the camera's port.

Quote:
What capture software are you using?
I've tried a variety (Vegas, Premiere, winDV, Kino in linux), but the computer itself has never detected the camera so the capture software hasn't either.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #17
Major Player

If the OS on multiple computers doesn't see the camera at all, then it likely is the firewire port. (You did try different cables didn't you?) Don't know how much it is for repairs on the A1S with the six pin port, but my experience getting the A1 firewire port replaced has been around $300 in the past.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn View Post
If the OS on multiple computers doesn't see the camera at all, then it likely is the firewire port. (You did try different cables didn't you?) Don't know how much it is for repairs on the A1S with the six pin port, but my experience getting the A1 firewire port replaced has been around $300 in the past.
Yeah... multiple cables tried and verified working with my GL2 in both OS's. So maybe attempting XP isn't worth the effort. Where does one even get the port repaired in this day and age?
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Wrangler

FWIW: A number of years ago VIA chipsets were reproted as problematic for some people. If it is an older firewire card that might be an issue.

One way to test the port is to try a SD transfer from XHA1 to your GL2, and then back. That at least confirms the port does or doesn't work for SD.

Have you confirmed that the capture programs are configure to capture HDV - that may require a different capture preset. It depends on the specifics of the software you are using?

Can you try the XHA1 with a different computer? And do try with a SD tape and SD transfer settings.

Firewire ports can be sensitive to surges that may happen when initialy connected if both systems are running, and incresingly so if not on the same power strip. It usually best to connect while both are power off.
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Major Player

Tried today on a different machine running XP with an "OHCI Compliant" firewire port (on a Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI card). Same exact results. I tried the SD test simply by removing the tape and setting VCR mode to SD and the PC still doesn't recognize the camera and OSD still does the weird blinking thing once the cable is connected.

I'm running out of time. Driving two hours asap to get this tape pulled then looking to sell this camera. I doubt anyone will want it since it's essentially useless other than as a direct output device via the SD/HD cables.

This is a real bummer!
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Locate the free software called "HDV SPLIT" Edit to add: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDVSplit

Connect the Firewire.

Turn on the camera in VCR mode.

Run HDV Split

See if it detects your camera.

Fill the box with what you want to name the capture/pick the destination folder.

Hit record.

For a long time I was forced to use HDV Split to capture HDV. Recently with Win 7 pro x64, I've been able to capture directly with Vegas. I think it was a firewire driver issue as others have mentioned.

I'll try to keep checking this thread today.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
Locate the free software called "HDV SPLIT" Edit to add: HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Connect the Firewire.

Turn on the camera in VCR mode.

Run HDV Split

See if it detects your camera.

Fill the box with what you want to name the capture/pick the destination folder.

Hit record.

For a long time I was forced to use HDV Split to capture HDV. Recently with Win 7 pro x64, I've been able to capture directly with Vegas. I think it was a firewire driver issue as others have mentioned.

I'll try to keep checking this thread today.

Jeremiah
I really don't think installing a piece of software that was last updated in 2007 is going to get me by the fact that the machine isn't recognizing when my A1 is connected. I have confirmed on three different machines and three different operating systems that my older GL2 can be detected but the A1 can't. So unless the driver issue would be specific to the A1, it's not a firewire or cabling issue.
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Well, I had a similar problem when I first got my XH-A1. If I put a DV tape that I had recorded with my GL1 into the XH-A1, the computer would recognize it with no problems and it would capture with no problems. (as soon as I hit play and the XH-A1 switched to DV16:9 when it detected the DV tape).

If I tried HDV footage, I couldn't capture it. HDVSplit allowed me to capture the HDV footage. Even though I can capture HDV with Vegas with no problems now, I still use HDVSplit because it has never caused any dropped frames.

Doesn't cost you anything to try. Shrug.
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Major Player

Plus, you don't have to install the software, it just runs.
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #25
Major Player

I use it too. Probably the reason the software hasn't been updated since 2007 is because the programmer got it right the first time. It would be a good idea to at least try the free program before sending the camera to have the firewire port serviced.
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Just for closure I've sent my A1 to Canon and verified in my own mind so far that it was a busted port on the camera... I drove a couple hours to my partners house and pulled the tape without incident on her A1 in Windows 7.
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #27
Major Player

Final note... CanonUSA confirmed the port dead and $384 later sent it back repaired and my Win7 machine recognized it straight away.

Anyone wanna buy a used A1?

:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders