DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 LCD Pictogram (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/538112-xh-a1-lcd-pictogram.html)

Francois Penzes May 31st, 2021 05:17 AM

XH A1 LCD Pictogram

1 Attachment(s)
Dusted off my XH A1 that I haven’t used in almost 8 years. Was getting re-acquainted with it. Can’t figure out the cloud and sunshine pictogram on the display and where the switch/button/wheel is to effect change. Didn’t find anything in the manual about it. (Doesn't mean it's not there, just didn't find it) Anyone out there remembers ? Cheers !

Allan Black May 31st, 2021 07:39 PM

Re: XH A1 LCD Pictogram

Welcome Francois. Did you load any custom presets 8yrs ago? Given your A1 operates Ok, not sure but try setting the white balance on a white card, page 62 in this manual …

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/09000...1_A1NIM-EN.pdf

Cheers.

Francois Penzes May 31st, 2021 08:53 PM

Hi Allen. Thank you for the reply. Went through all the motions. I had set the white balance, even tried preset (pic was taken on the preset setting.) That is why the picto for the WB is not there. Tried it with and without the custom presets (even removed the SD card) If ever you have any other ideas, I will be more than happy to entertain them. Again, thank you for your time ! Cheers !

Allan Black May 31st, 2021 09:35 PM

Hi Francois, if you haven’t already done this, after 8yrs. like your first initial set-up, the internal Lithium battery has to be charged for 8hrs, obviously connected to the wall power while doing this.

Then I’d shoot test video in all the picture settings, this might clear that cloud/sun reading. But first make sure the tape tpt is Ok, after 8yrs make sure the rubber tape pinch roller hasn’t disintegrated, first fast fwd. and rewind an earlier prerecorded tape, then play it. If it makes any audible squealing sounds, stop immediately. Then run a new cleaner tape for 10secs, and try the recorded tape again. If no go, get a quote for repairs. I think the XH A1 is still supported by Canon.

Cheers.

Allan Black June 1st, 2021 01:26 AM

Francois try this: menu > camera set up > sky detail > OFF.

Cheers.

Francois Penzes June 1st, 2021 08:52 AM

Hi Allan. BINGO ! Right on the mark ! You're a star ! Would have been easier if Canon had included a picto in the manual on page 68 ;-) As a foot note, I don't use the tape recording on the camera. I have a Sony HVRA-CR1 Memory Recording Unit hooked up to the Firewire port. (CF card) If someone else reads this and want to use this camera, it's the way to go. Way more reliable than tape. It's surprising how this camera has withstood the test of time. Picture quality is way up there. Again, thanks a million ! Cheers !

Francois Penzes June 1st, 2021 09:20 AM

Hi Allan. Are you the same Allan Black that worked at 2UE ?

Allan Black June 1st, 2021 04:15 PM

Hi Francois, glad that worked made my day, thanks.

Yep the XHA1 is still a great camera, the only thing for me is, no limiter for the external mics. I shot aircraft vids and that was a pain, a limiter circuit would have cost Canon peanuts. But they did include a limiter with their XHA1S and it works fine, saved my bacon a few times. I added Canon wide angle lens and never took them off. And those custom presets Chris Hurd made available to d/load here are great too, have you tried any?

I shot DV tape to combine my stuff with a couple of other shooters at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society south of Sydney. I was their vid. producer for 7 years and yep I’m the AB who worked at 2UE in Sydney back in the analogue days.

Cheers.

Francois Penzes June 3rd, 2021 07:44 AM

Hi Allan

Yes, did try some of the custom presets Chris Hurd made available. (must admit that I tweaked some of them to my liking...) By the way, the reason I asked about 2UE was that I went a couple of weeks back in my net browser after noticing that I had seen your name somewhere before and bingo, I had read an article last month about you. Small world. (I also come from an analog background)

https://www.australianotr.com.au/all...arts-1-15.html

Cheers !

Allan Black August 6th, 2021 07:55 PM

Hi Francois. Yep the beauty of the Canon XH-A1 and the A1s, is being able to tweak just about everything. I loaded 5 custom presets - Panalook - Vivid RGB - Panavision - PF Vision and Panalook 2. But on aircraft shoots, to keep other A1s with the same ‘look’ for aircraft programs, we only used Vivid RGB. But as I said the audio limiter on my newer XH-A1s should have been included on the A1, a bad gaff by Canon.

For 4 years I was a mod. on the defunct Panasonic 3CCDuser site and learned heaps about writing for the web. As a result, now on the Aus. Old Time Radio site, I keep each Part to less than a 10 minute read, always include eye candy, relevant photos alternately down each page and never include a link away to another site. The punters click away and forget to come back.

Cheers.