XH-A1 not powering on. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 22nd, 2022, 05:30 PM   #1
Wrangler

XH-A1 not powering on.

Tried to fire up my old XH-A1, Power Indicator and DV lights flash, but unit does not power up.
The Standby switch position is not the issue. This appears to have happend to othees

Anyone have any recollections of what it took to fix this?
Old May 22nd, 2022, 06:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XH-A1 not powering on.

Hi Don. Years ago I loaded 5 custom presets into my XH-A1 and XH-A1s and the premise at the time was to keep the internal Lithium battery charged up, if it went flat all the custom presets would be lost. From memory the internal battery has 48 hrs. of charge.

So the way to keep all the C.P.s is to always keep the main battery charged on both cameras, this keeps the internal battery charged up. So I wonder if your internal battery has gone flat? Maybe leave your charged main battery on your XH-A1 for 24hrs. or longer.

Just a thought.
Cheers.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 07:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks for the reply.

The manual indicates the internal rechargeable battery is good for 3+ months, The camera has sat idle for a year plus. I will try giving it time to recharge but don't hold out much hope.

I seen reports of the issue cause varying from a blown internal fuse (there are about eight of them) to ban PC boards.It looks like the internal fuses, a mix of 1 and 1.5 amp ratings, are not easy to reach.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 04:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ditto, just watching this 10yr old video gives me the heebee jeebeez. Is the camera still supported by Canon where you are?

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; May 23rd, 2022 at 07:26 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2022, 05:11 AM   #5
Wrangler

I called Canon. The XH A1 has reached the end of support. It came out in 2006 so that is no surprise. I would like to find a service manual but they are not plentiful it seems. I would think Canon would release the now since they no longer support the camera with factory service per the phone call.

Sadly the video is blurry.
Old May 25th, 2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I guess Canon won’t release service manuals because too many cameras will get unintentionally damaged. When you get yours back in working order this could be a sticky for other folk here.

https://www.fixya.com/support/t17834...t_power_up_not

https://www.discountcamerarepair.com

Cheers.
Old May 28th, 2022, 03:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The manual indicates the internal rechargeable battery is good for 3+ months, The camera has sat idle for a year plus. I will try giving it time to recharge but don't hold out much hope.
Don, you might get some help via this interesting link posted by Chris Young … https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...ased-batteries

Cheers.
Old March 18th, 2023, 06:25 PM   #8
Wrangler

In followup to the original post. I spoke with someone at :Canon Camera & Camcorder Repair & Service, INC. in Glendale, CA. today. He said the likely problem is the "power pcb circuit board," a common failure for this camcorder due to component aging.

Repair cost is estimated to be $265, return shipping included. Now to decide if it is worth resurrecting this beast.
Old April 21st, 2023, 06:57 AM   #9
Wrangler

I bit the bullet, had my XH-A1 repaired a the above Glendale, CA, facility. The final reported issue was the main board (not power board). They also did a service and alignment. It spent about a week there. Over the next several days I will run some checks on it. Cost was inline with what I would expect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders