DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH batteries / battery thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72441-canon-xh-batteries-battery-thread.html)

Bill Busby January 21st, 2007 07:32 PM

I bought Lenmar version of the *edit* (970) for $70 & placed a "pull tab" made of gaffer tape on the end. Shoddy workaround, but it works & isn't likely to ever lose it's adhesive. I can't really see spending close to twice as much for a Canon brand even though it's supposed to "fit". I haven't found them anywhere near what I paid for the Lenmars.

Tony Tang January 21st, 2007 10:32 PM

IDX makes two options:

1. IDX A-E2H1 Endura Power Adapter - for Canon XL-2 and H1 DV and HDV Camcorders, for Using V-Mount Batteries (I could not find this on IDX's web site, so here's a B&H link.)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

2. IDX SD-1E belt pack with 4-pin XLR connector that requires a separate 4-pin XLR to Canon power mount cable
http://www.idxtek.com/7_2v%20solutions.pdf

Even though it is designed for mounting on the XLH1, I would recommend option 1 because it comes with a 2-pin 12V Powertap connector on the plate (for powering lights or HD recorder) and it comes with the 7.2V Canon power connector. You could use something like the large size Jimmy Box (http://www.jimmybox.com/) to mount the plate and battery securely beneath the camera using some velcro. You'll end up with an IDX battery solution that beats the Anton Bauer Elipz because you've got a 12V Powertap on the IDX plate that you won't get with the Elipz. Plus you get to use your existing IDX V-mount batteries and charger.

Option 2 alone is about the same price as option 1, but for option 2 you need to purchase an additional $90 adapter cable to make it work with the Canon camera and to get the Powertap connector. Then you also have more wire hanging around that needs to be tied down.

Oh... if you're not going to use your old XL1's V-mount plate, then you could take that plate and mount it in a large size Jimmy Box for your XHA1. This saves you over $200 from buying another V-mount plate.

Tony

Scott Cantrell January 22nd, 2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Anthony, the only batteries I can find on Tapeworks' web site are like AA, C--flashlight batteries. B&H is $129 for the BP-950G battery pack. I'm wondering if anybody else is significantly cheaper. That's not bad for a battery that lasts half a day with ease.

Bill, Tapeworks website is a work in progress. Our website is small because TapeWorks is a small business. Our website does not provide all products and accessories that we offer because most of our business is person to person, not online ordering. Most of our clients either call or email to let us know what products they are looking for and I can generally provide better pricing than what is found on our website or our competitors website. If you can not find a product or simply require information that we can provide on products, please contact us and we will be glad to assist.

TapeWorks does have the Canon BP970G in stock for $149.00 and the BP950G for $119.00

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell - HDVinfo.net
scott@tapeworkstexas.com
866-827-3489

Bill Pryor January 22nd, 2007 10:51 AM

Thanks for that info!

Barry Gribble January 30th, 2007 10:33 PM

Anton Bauer Elipz

Hey,

I'm finally putting together an order from B&H and they are selling the A1 in a package with the Elipz battery.

Has anyone used one of these? Any feedback on them? Do they get in the way of hand-held shooting?

Thanks in advance.

Edward Randolph January 31st, 2007 12:55 AM

Elipz Needed?

The run time for the Elipz is estimated to be 7.5 hours. I have found the battery run time figures to be sometimes exaggerated for a real world situation.
I have also read reports from the field of 5 hour run time for the stock XH-A1 battery.

"In total, the battery lasted an incredible 5 hours, 42 minutes, and 22 seconds."
http://www.dvguru.com/2006/11/21/cam...s-canon-xh-a1/

I am getting mine tomorrow so I will be able to test that myself.
If the actual run time is even anything over two hours with the stock battery, I wil buy two of the larger BP-970 batteries for around $80 each and have plenty of battery time for a normal days work (for me). That's a lot cheaper solution than the Elipz and without the bulk.

Barry Gribble January 31st, 2007 10:38 PM

So has anyone put their hands on the Elipz? I thought I saw a 7.5 hour run time listed for a bigger Canon battery also...

Miguel Lombana January 31st, 2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
So has anyone put their hands on the Elipz? I thought I saw a 7.5 hour run time listed for a bigger Canon battery also...

Seems to be a lot of hype but no users, I was curious too but at this point, I can live without.

Edward Randolph February 1st, 2007 12:09 AM

E-lips

I saw it at NAB last year and got really jazzed; until I looked it up online and saw the price and that the adapter was optional.
I don't really think you need to swing that extra weight with the reported battery times of the stock XH-A1 batteries.

I also have a clarification:
I did NOT mean a OEM Canon BP-970 for $80, I'm looking at clones (compatibles). I'll post if I find one that fits well. I'll also do a runtime test.

Richard Hunter February 1st, 2007 12:16 AM

I just did a shoot this morning, with a freshly charged BP-970. The cam was switched on the whole time, and I rolled altogether 58 minutes of tape before the "change battery" warning came on at 4.5 hours of running. I was using the LCD panel a bit more than half the time. I'm very happy with this battery performance.

Richard

Mark Fry February 1st, 2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Randolph
I also have a clarification:
I did NOT mean a OEM Canon BP-970 for $80, I'm looking at clones (compatibles). I'll post if I find one that fits well. I'll also do a runtime test.

AFAIK, the large Hama batery fits in the XH-A1 compartment. The one sold in the UK by Keene does not. It is a millimetre or 2 too wide, and though it can be removed, it's not fun!

Chuck Wall February 2nd, 2007 01:35 PM

A1 950G battery question

Hi

I have an A1 and I have had problems with the factory supplied cell
950 losing contact with the contacts. If I put in the larger cell this
is not an issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Chuck

Richard Hunter February 2nd, 2007 07:12 PM

Hi Chuck. So far I've not seen any problem with the battery contacts. Hope it's an isolated case that you can get fixed.

Richard

Edward Randolph February 4th, 2007 05:35 PM

XH-A1 Battery Problem?

I just got my XH-A1 last week and haven't ordered a backup battery yet.
I charged the stock (comes with the camera) battery and got over 3 hours (not an exact measurment, I ran 3.5 tapes through it), a lot of it with the LCD screen open.
The "replace battery" indicator came on so I went to AC and put the battery on the charger and left it overnight.
This morning the indicator light on the charger was a steady non-blinking light, meaning the battery was fully charged.
I went on a hike to shoot some outdoor footage and the camera started flashing the change battery light after only 10 seconds. It ran about 30 seconds before the cam shut off.
I now have it on the charger and it's blinking about 1 per second, the "0" charge rate.
Has anyone had a BAD battery from the factory?

Chris Hurd February 4th, 2007 06:42 PM

If you continue to have trouble with it, either return the battery to your dealer or send it to Canon USA factory service. I'm sure they'll replace it for you.