computer needs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 31st, 2006, 07:24 AM   #1
Major Player

computer needs

When I had my XL1s my old iMac worked pretty good, but now with HDV I wonder if this Powerbook is enough. I have 1GB of memory and 1.67GHz. Only 60GB hard drive. So I'm planing on buying a external hard drive. I can also bump up the memory two. I'm planning on buying the A1. It might not be the fastest but hopefully it can get me by for now.

Any suggestions?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Major Player

what can I get by with to edit HDV?
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:45 AM   #3
New Boot

rendering might be a little slow but with the power book you should be ok...defantly go with the ram...and the external drive will have 2 be pritty big. ive never done HDV Editing my self. but ive looked in to it. you will defantly want somthing like 300 or 400 gig drive. the only thing i can think of is some times when you have an extenal drive with editing rendering can be come a little slower. i guess it depends on how big of projects you are working on. a 10 min video will be about as much as i personaly would want 2 work on with a power book.
Michael Behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Major Player

but if I have external hard drive space I can go longer than 10 mins, I hope?
I just talk to the Apple store and I should go up to 2GB of memory.
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM   #5
New Boot

o ya you will have room for it. like i said with the 300 or 400 gig hard drive. but with the processor power. im not shure, like how fast rendering and exporting will be. and ive had some slow downs using external drives for big projects. not only with the drive corupting ( get a good well known external) but some times fire wire just isnt fast enough 2 keep up, so that might slow ur rendering speeds and what not.
Michael Behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Well hopefully at sometime I can upgrade. I won't be doing any fancy stuff for awhile anyway.
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Major Player

How much hard drive space does HDV take up. How many minutes to use up 1GB of hard drive?
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
How much hard drive space does HDV take up. How many minutes to use up 1GB of hard drive?
25mb/s, exactly the same as DV. What does that boil down to, about 5 minutes a gig or so? Crap, my memory is shot.

Anyway, drive space is a non-issue with HDV. Maybe when moving into some of the intermediate formats it can become a concern on long projects. Rendering uncompressed 1920x1080 is where it gets really ugly...

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Major Player

that is good news.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I've got a PowerBook as well and I'm not going to lie to ya... It's pretty difficult to work with the HDV files and rendering. Right now I only have 512 mb of memory with another gig that should show up tomorrow. i'm hoping that this will make things a little easier. I'm also curious to see what Mac will introduce eventually that will replace the G5. anyway, good luck!

Eric Hansen
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hansen
I've got a PowerBook as well and I'm not going to lie to ya... It's pretty difficult to work with the HDV files and rendering. Right now I only have 512 mb of memory with another gig that should show up tomorrow. i'm hoping that this will make things a little easier. I'm also curious to see what Mac will introduce eventually that will replace the G5. anyway, good luck!

Eric Hansen
The problem right now is processor power in order to work with the MT2 HDV files.
It is always better to work with an intermediary codec, whcih will enable you to edit just like SD video.
However your rendering times will for the most part be totally processor dependant and not RAM memory dependant. It's always good to have more RAM, but in general it won't give you and better render times.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
The problem right now is processor power in order to work with the MT2 HDV files.
It is always better to work with an intermediary codec, whcih will enable you to edit just like SD video.
However your rendering times will for the most part be totally processor dependant and not RAM memory dependant. It's always good to have more RAM, but in general it won't give you and better render times.
I'm kind of slow and need some more memory too when it comes to computers,,,but is there a way you change the intermediary codex?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen

I have a 1gig and will go to 2gig of memery which is what Apple recommeds for FCE-HD. I will use that for now since I can upgrade my FCE for only $99.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:50 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
I'm kind of slow and need some more memory too when it comes to computers,,,but is there a way you change the intermediary codex?
As far as I know, the only intermediary codec for the MAC is the AIC (Apple Intermediary Codec).
For the PC you have a few, with the best probaby being the Cineform Intermediary Codec.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Trustee

Unless your doing some elaborate color work, can't you guys just capture DV25 for edits, then relink to the HDV clips before render?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders