DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1, Apple and 24F (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/73075-xh-a1-apple-24f.html)

Bob Zimmerman August 6th, 2006 07:45 AM

XH-A1, Apple and 24F

I would like to upgrade to FCE-HD to save some money. I don't think it will edit 24F. Not sure if FCP will even do that. Does anyone know? Also what are the chances that Apple might put 24F editing into FCE-HD? Or should I not even worry about 24F and if I wanted to it all in post?

Bob Zimmerman August 6th, 2006 09:06 PM

must be a tough question

Dave Perry August 7th, 2006 06:27 AM

Go ahead and shoot 24f. Use the Apple FireWire Developers Kit which has a program called VirtualDVHS with it to capture the raw .m2t clips from the camera. Get MPEGStreamClip to use to export the .m2t files to the Apple 1080p24 codec. Create a custom timeline in FCP using the attached image's settings.

I don't think you will be able to do this in FCE, however, I may be wrong.

A bit of a work around but it works. Eventually FCP will handle native Canon 24f.

Dylan Pank August 7th, 2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Go ahead and shoot 24f. Use the Apple FireWire Developers Kit which has a program called VirtualDVHS with it to capture the raw .m2t clips from the camera. Get MPEGStreamClip to use to export the .m2t files to the Apple 1080p24 codec. Create a custom timeline in FCP using the attached image's settings.

A bit of a work around but it works. Eventually FCP will handle native Canon 24f.

You can do this to FCE with 30/25p by transcoding to AIC mov, which FCE uses for HD material. Not sure if FCE would has the option for a 24p.

Bob Zimmerman August 7th, 2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Perry

My brain just crashed.

Bob Zimmerman August 7th, 2006 08:04 PM

I hope at some point Apple will let you just capture 24F.

Tony Tibbetts August 8th, 2006 12:21 AM

I imagine it will be sooner rather than later.

Nick Hiltgen August 8th, 2006 04:32 AM

Of course we've all been imagining "sooner" for 7 months or so now.

Bob Zimmerman August 8th, 2006 05:21 AM

well I was planning on some stuff in 60i anyway.

Robert Sanders August 8th, 2006 12:05 PM

I've been banging the "Apple doesn't support Canon's 24F mode" for a long time now and have been beaten down by many of this board for being upset at Apple's lack of attention.

Apparently only Sony and Panasonic get preferrential treatment simply because they sell 90% of all camcorders. And asking Apple to support anyone else is foolhardy and unrealistic.

So I'm going to predict that Apple will never release 24F support for Canon or 24P support for JVC.

Chris Hurd August 8th, 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
I've... been beaten down by many of this board...

Back when DV Info Net was small, it was a lot easier to catch that kind of inappropriate activity. If you believe that you've been flamed or otherwise personally harrassed here, please use the "report bad post" button to the left and we'll look it over and act on it.

Tony Tibbetts August 8th, 2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
So I'm going to predict that Apple will never release 24F support for Canon or 24P support for JVC.

Not likely.

Robert Sanders August 8th, 2006 03:53 PM

Apple's gonna throw it's support behind AVC-HD and implement 24p support there. They're gonna view HDV in general as a stop-gap format and therefore I doubt they'll support Canon's or JVC's flavors.

Dave Perry August 8th, 2006 04:01 PM

At NAB I attended the LAFCPUG Super Meet after the convention center had closed on Wed I think. Apple was there demoing 720p24 for the HD 100 and says it's coming soon.

I also had the opportunity to meet Chris there. Chris, am I mistaken about the 24p support for the HD 100?

Robert Sanders August 8th, 2006 04:08 PM

I do find it funny that MPEG Streamclip, Apple's own product, has no problem with the inverse pulldown of Canon's 24F footage.