XH-A1, Apple and 24F at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 6th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Major Player

XH-A1, Apple and 24F

I would like to upgrade to FCE-HD to save some money. I don't think it will edit 24F. Not sure if FCP will even do that. Does anyone know? Also what are the chances that Apple might put 24F editing into FCE-HD? Or should I not even worry about 24F and if I wanted to it all in post?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Major Player

must be a tough question
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Go ahead and shoot 24f. Use the Apple FireWire Developers Kit which has a program called VirtualDVHS with it to capture the raw .m2t clips from the camera. Get MPEGStreamClip to use to export the .m2t files to the Apple 1080p24 codec. Create a custom timeline in FCP using the attached image's settings.

I don't think you will be able to do this in FCE, however, I may be wrong.

A bit of a work around but it works. Eventually FCP will handle native Canon 24f.

Last edited by Dave Perry; August 24th, 2006 at 04:19 PM.
Dave Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Go ahead and shoot 24f. Use the Apple FireWire Developers Kit which has a program called VirtualDVHS with it to capture the raw .m2t clips from the camera. Get MPEGStreamClip to use to export the .m2t files to the Apple 1080p24 codec. Create a custom timeline in FCP using the attached image's settings.

A bit of a work around but it works. Eventually FCP will handle native Canon 24f.
You can do this to FCE with 30/25p by transcoding to AIC mov, which FCE uses for HD material. Not sure if FCE would has the option for a 24p.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry

My brain just crashed.
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Major Player

I hope at some point Apple will let you just capture 24F.
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Major Player

I imagine it will be sooner rather than later.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #8
Trustee

Of course we've all been imagining "sooner" for 7 months or so now.
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Major Player

well I was planning on some stuff in 60i anyway.
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #10
Starway Pictures

I've been banging the "Apple doesn't support Canon's 24F mode" for a long time now and have been beaten down by many of this board for being upset at Apple's lack of attention.

Apparently only Sony and Panasonic get preferrential treatment simply because they sell 90% of all camcorders. And asking Apple to support anyone else is foolhardy and unrealistic.

So I'm going to predict that Apple will never release 24F support for Canon or 24P support for JVC.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
I've... been beaten down by many of this board...
Back when DV Info Net was small, it was a lot easier to catch that kind of inappropriate activity. If you believe that you've been flamed or otherwise personally harrassed here, please use the "report bad post" button to the left and we'll look it over and act on it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
So I'm going to predict that Apple will never release 24F support for Canon or 24P support for JVC.
Not likely.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Starway Pictures

Apple's gonna throw it's support behind AVC-HD and implement 24p support there. They're gonna view HDV in general as a stop-gap format and therefore I doubt they'll support Canon's or JVC's flavors.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Major Player

At NAB I attended the LAFCPUG Super Meet after the convention center had closed on Wed I think. Apple was there demoing 720p24 for the HD 100 and says it's coming soon.

I also had the opportunity to meet Chris there. Chris, am I mistaken about the 24p support for the HD 100?
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #15
Starway Pictures

I do find it funny that MPEG Streamclip, Apple's own product, has no problem with the inverse pulldown of Canon's 24F footage.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders