A1's shipping date postponed to the beginning of November - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Halliday
Maybe. Though, I think that that if all you wanted to do is make a movie, you'd hire a DP with an HD camera package. That would be a lot cheaper than buying a $4k camera.
Getting way off topic here, but just wanted to point out that a quality DP with HD camera will probably go through 4 grand very, very quickly.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #17
Contributor

A guy with a Varicam package will go from $1200-$1500 a day, more or less.
But if you're talking about a guy with an HDV camera package, you might could do that for $800 or so per day.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
A guy with a Varicam package will go from $1200-$1500 a day, more or less.
But if you're talking about a guy with an HDV camera package, you might could do that for $800 or so per day.
Even more off topic: What else would need to be included in that HDV package to go for $800 (other than artistic ability and tons of knowledge about the camera)?
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #19
Contributor

Well, depending on where you are, and the specific camera...the camera might rent from $200-$300 a day, probably add another hundred for tripod and other accessories...wireless mic system? another 50 or so...Cameraman rates go from $300 at the low end to around $600 at the high end. The Z1 was renting for $250 last time I looked but probably has come down by now. It seems when a new camera like that is out, it'll rent at an inflated price, and then after a year or so it will drop to around $150. Of course everything varies by locale and work available. If a person isn't busy and you said you had 400 bucks a day to pay, he might take it. If there is a big chunk of shooting time, like 2 or 3 weeks, most people will give you a deal.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm planning on buying this camera, and inbetween projects I hope to rent it out to people locally. I live in Austin. I'm trying to figure out how I would find people who are looking to rent an A1. Anybody know how to advertise? I could rent myself, too over winter break or weekends, etc.
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ott
<snip>
I could rent myself, too over winter break or weekends, etc.
Make sure that's legal in your area.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Check with austinfilmtools.com - I believe they were looking for individuals with cameras to rent out... looks like a pretty good place. I've read some of Michael's articles, helpful info.

Don
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
Make sure that's legal in your area.
Hahaha.

I'll check that website. Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #24
Major Player

You can get camera guys and their equipment pretty cheap right now. Cheaper than you think.

That said, if you are really making something of quality, you need AC, sound guy (maybe two) grip and truck, etc. That's what seems to run up the budget.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders