Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Ok, here is more scope of this cam. Shots of the menu system is included below.

1) The focus dial sensitivity can be adjusted as well as the direction of the dial.

2) The ViewFinder and LCD can be turned to Black and White for even better focusing.

3) You can set the attenuation on the XLR input, 20db and also turn up the 12 db gain on the internal mic if needed.

4) The three gain selector switch (Low, Medium , High) can be custom set from -3db to +36db

5) Color Correction, allows you to set characteristics of certain color or pattern (color phase, chroma, area and Y level) !! Two different presets available ! Want the HVX or DVX Look ?? no problem, the matrix greenish look ...etc. I think this is the greatest asset of this camera !! along with (6) below.

6) 23 different presets levels is available for video and 17 different presets for still image. MAN !!!!! This ROCKS.

7) There are several markers that you can use (the grid will help newbies with framing for sure).

8) Display Aspect Ratio Guides (4:3, 13:9, 14:9, 1.66.1 ,1.75:1, 1.85:1 or 2.35:1) for accurate framing.

9) Displaying safety zone Guide (80% or 90%) of the screen area.

10) Zebra pattern evel is from 70- 100 in increment of 5.

:) Next step, Video and Audio performance test.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1-img_0677.jpg   Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1-img_0672.jpg  

Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1-img_0668.jpg   Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1-img_0667.jpg  

Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1-img_0666.jpg  
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by
11) The electric servo sound from the camera's lens is still audible both on the built in mic and the stock external mic holder. I tested it with my AT 4053a hyper cardioid mic. So, for you Run and Gun folks, solution is here (look at bottom of page). [url
http://www.mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html[/url]
Jason, can you elaborate a little on this at the bottom of that page what are you referring to and are you recommending it and saying that it will not capture the servo sound?
thanks
Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
6) 23 different presets levels is available for video and 17 different presets for still image. MAN !!!!! This ROCKS.

7) There are several markers that you can use (the grid will help newbies with framing for sure).

8) Display Aspect Ratio Guides (4:3, 13:9, 14:9, 1.66.1 ,1.75:1, 1.85:1 or 2.35:1) for accurate framing.

Sounds amazing. Can't wait 'til I get mine.
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gordon
Jason, can you elaborate a little on this at the bottom of that page what are you referring to and are you recommending it and saying that it will not capture the servo sound?
thanks
Jerry
I'm pretty sure he's saying most of those products are designed to eliminate that noise and more.

The increased distance from mic to camera will lead to less self noise.
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Jerry,

Almost all of the electonic servo driven lenses suffer from this problem, especially on the Canon (ask any Canon XL2 users).

When you zoom, the built in mic and also your external mic that you attach to the cam WILL PICK UP the servo sound from the lens. Depending on what you do, this might be or might not be a problem. It is extremely rare that i would use a mic mounted on the camera body itself.

One of the solutions is from K-Tek, the mount will take the mic further away from the lens (servo noise). Using a windjammer helps as well, as also setting up 80khz filter on the mic if availavle).

This also allows you to use a mattebox with a camera mounted mic.

Quote:
thanks
Jerry
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM   #36
Major Player

Got it. I had my Z1U on the desk as I unboxed it. I don't care what the specs say, it's smaller and lighter than a Z1 -- or at least seems like it.

Small things I didn't like from just playing with it:

As it comes out of the box, the focus (and zoom) rings are always in manual override mode, just like in Canon's still cameras with pro lenses -- which is usually a good thing. But if you touch the focus ring -- which is very easy to do because it's wider than the rest of it -- you'll knock it out of focus, even if you're in af mode or locked down during an interview.

The headphone jack is under a huge plastic cover at the back of the camera. I always use headphones which means this huge flap will always be waving in the breeze.

The handgrip does not feel as ergonomic as the Sony. To be more precise, the grip is terrible -- it's like holding a box. I haven't used it yet, though, so don't know if it will be a problem in real life.

The component out cable is as thick as a firehose but less flexible.

No 1/4-20 hole on top to mount a light stud.

The viewfinder has a strong lens in it; if you move your eye a little the image is distorted. The Sony is much better.

Good things:

Bars are on a toggle switch. Bravo!

It's been a while since I've used an XLH1, but the touch identification of buttons and switches on the A1 seem improved.

The focus magnifier is great -- it's sharp enough to be useful.

The lens focus and zoom rings have a very nice feel. The always-on manual override is good too -- but will be a love-hate thing (see above.)

Lens seems wider than the Z1U (but it's not) and also noticeably longer. Minimum focus at the long end is farther (over 4ft, I'm guessing), though image size due to longer telephoto is same or better.

I haven't shot with it yet, so don't know anything else.

chuck

Last edited by Chuck Fadely; November 3rd, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM   #37
Tourist

Quote:
Jerry,

When you zoom, the built in mic and also your external mic that you attach to the cam WILL PICK UP the servo sound from the lens. .

Quick question.

Is the external mic bracket removable?
Frank Brocato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Jerry,

Almost all of the electonic servo driven lenses suffer from this problem, especially on the Canon (ask any Canon XL2 users).

When you zoom, the built in mic and also your external mic that you attach to the cam WILL PICK UP the servo sound from the lens. Depending on what you do, this might be or might not be a problem. It is extremely rare that i would use a mic mounted on the camera body itself.

One of the solutions is from K-Tek, the mount will take the mic further away from the lens (servo noise). Using a windjammer helps as well, as also setting up 80khz filter on the mic if availavle).

This also allows you to use a mattebox with a camera mounted mic.
thanks Jason so you are recommending a model that is at the bottom of the page? thanks again
Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM   #39
Major Player

So far I am less than impressed with the picture quality. I have some clips encoding right now but it looks like that in low light, its no different from their SD cameras...horrible, unacceptable noise.

My FX is not as bright at the same settings but has a FRACTION of the noise.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Not really, I have no experience with the last mounting bracket at all but I can tell you this, get your mic ready (the specifications) and call up K-tek.

The more sensitive your mic is, the more distance you would need from the camera body. It also depends on your mic (the pickup pattern), if its a cardioid, hyper cardioid ....etc.

If you do lots of run and gun, I highly recommend the Rycote Windjammer. I use it both for on-mic (while filming sports) and also on my boom pole.

Quote:
thanks Jason so you are recommending a model that is at the bottom of the page? thanks again
Jerry
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Yes, there are 2 small screws underneath the boom mount.

By the way, Jerry, K-tek makes probably the best shock mount in the industry. if you are looking for one, depending on the lenght of your mic, check out the K-Tek KSM or KSSM. You can even specify the rubber density (soft or regular).

I just placed an order of their Zeppelin today. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Brocato
Quick question.

Is the external mic bracket removable?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:38 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Boy...

Quote:
The Unboxing Ritual :) Check out the Canon "HDV" tape
Talkin' About Some True Bliss...that HDV's all black is pretty sweet
I hate the zoom noise on my XL1...
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #43
Major Player

Here is the real question? Any of you have an M2? Can it be used in conjunction reasonably without a spacer tube??>
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:19 PM   #44
Major Player

The noise comment scared me, so I just shot some low low light stuff on "A" with the camera's default settings at what I assume is full gain (agc on). Yes, it has noise. But it is film-grain kind of noise and does not make an unuseable image. With your nose against the monitor, it's apparent. From 3 feet away, it's not. The noise is not the clumpy kind you get with the Z1. Don't know yet how it will look encoded down to ntsc or for the web, but looked at on an HD monitor from a normal viewing distance, the effect is ok.

chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell
So far I am less than impressed with the picture quality. I have some clips encoding right now but it looks like that in low light, its no different from their SD cameras...horrible, unacceptable noise.

My FX is not as bright at the same settings but has a FRACTION of the noise.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM   #45
Major Player

jason, are you referring to the k-tek mount at the bottom of the linked page? i have the K-BWC camera adapter for the xl series cams and the adapter won't fit on the a1. the mic holder size on the a1 is approx the same as the one on the ma300, which is several mm smaller than the one on the xl cameras. until there is a replacement, the hot shoe mount should work fine however.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders