DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Coming out of A1 via component video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78923-coming-out-a1-via-component-video.html)

Peter Moretti January 19th, 2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Griffith (Post 731459)
Actually..we are both wrong. :)

The Decklink HD is 10bit 4:2:2

Mondays... :)

-will

So when using component out from an XH-A1 is it worth it to go with 10-bit 4:2:2 over 8-bit 4:2:2? I mean if I'm going to go through all the trouble of external capture, why skimp on the last two bits?

I realize this is a very subjective question, but would love to hear people's opinions.

Thanks!

Colin McDonald January 20th, 2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 717700)
Chris,

Sergio already corrected you, but I wanted to add that I *wish* that's how it worked. There is no technical reason that manufacturers have to compress live footage to HDV when sending it out via firewire, but they all do it, and none provide any other option. HDV only uses 4.5 MB/s, while firewire (400) has the capacity to carry much, much more data: 48 MB/s. That's not enough for uncompressed 4:2:2 1080, but there are a lot of options. In any case, it would compete directly with ultra-high-margin HD-SDI, and they would need to find a codec that's light on the camera's tiny CPU, so it will probably never happen.

Pardon me for jumping in on a discussion between much more knowledgeable guys, but isn't this all why some folks buy an XH-G1 rather than an A1 - to be able to access and record/save uncompressed footage? I thought that ALL the outputs from an A1 were either compressed or D-A converted or both.

* Didn't notice or read the next 2 pages of posts on this thread - sorry.

Jim Press January 21st, 2008 04:20 AM

Colin,

I agree with you--that's precisely why we got the G1 instead of the A1--we use the HD SDI to the AJA IoHD, then into a MacBook Pro laptop and save to an external eSATA RAID1 enclosure (via Express34 card). Allows "uncompressed" capture (we actually use ProRes422 HQ, the quality of which is apparently on par with uncompressed.)

Austin Meyers January 22nd, 2008 03:32 PM

A1 component capture (IOHD) vs HDV for Green Screen?

I have access to an A1 and an IOHD, and am curious if anyone has found a real working benefit to capture off the component out of the A1 versus pulling the key off the HDV footage. I understand the color space ramifications of each, but wonder if it really makes much difference real world, or vs. something like the G1 or H1 with HD-SDI out.

Or if anyone in the Austin area has an G1 or H1 they would like to loan out for a day...

Thanks

Austin

Luke Garza April 28th, 2008 06:34 PM

Capturing uncompressed off of component on xh a1

Does anyone know if the component output on xh a1 is not sure how to say but has not gone thru hdv compression and is uncompressed like the hdsdi on xh h1 or g1. I was thinking of putting a component to sdi converter (either blackmagic or aja) then feeding the sdi signal into macpro with kona lh. I know lh has analog inputs but have read that its better to go into it sdi, plus the advantage of longer cable runs. If it is not any better quality by going to sdi thru converter is it at least better quality compared to hdv. Has anyone done any tests to compare live capture off of hd sdi off of g1 vs component on xh a1. I now should just get g1 or xh h1 but for the price can get a1 and macpro or even iohd. Plus already have 2 a1s.

Marcel D. Van Someren April 28th, 2008 09:46 PM

Check out this thread. Clearly, even though the A1 does a good job with Greenscreen in HDV, component output makes for really clean comps.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=117788

Doyle Calvert May 3rd, 2008 01:23 PM

I've been looking for info on this exact subject., re composite vs firewire capture.

I have the XH-A1 (which I love dearly) and am trying to find a way to get the absolute best captured footage out of it for a project I've currently got going. For this project the camera is locked down in an overhead rig shooting straight down. We don't need sound for it (I usually record sound separately anyway and sync in post), just the clearest richest image we can get under controlled studio lighting.

I have tried capturing directly from On Location via firewire straight to disc, but the footage seems to be exactly the same as that captured from the tape via firewire, which makes sense to me.

However, we're using a 24" Samsung HD touch screen monitor as the preview monitor for the shoot, (the same monitor that this particular interactive HD application will be ultimately delivered on), to get the focus as sharp as humanly possible. We're going into the monitor via component for the preview.

One thing I noticed is a very big increase in the overall visual quality of the signal on that monitor when viewing via component. Colors are richer and more realistically saturated, and strangely, the focus is much more sharp.

When I capture the footage via firewire from the tape, it's noticably duller, on the grey side, and slightly fuzzy, like it's a bit out of focus. Still don't understand the drop in focus though. Why would that be, other than I really may not have had it in focus to begin with; but I had two other sets of sharp eyes to confirm the focus on the monitor.

But hooking the component outs from the camera to the component in on the same monitor at the same time I'm looking at the captured footage in Premiere Pro CS3 shows that same taped footage looking pretty much exactly like it looked when we were monitoring it live. I'd like to be able to deliver that better looking footage as our end result (h.264 full 1080p at a data rate of 10-12Mbps or more), if at all possible.

I'm about to buy a Xena LHe and Cineform Prospect HD in the hopes that I can get the very best out of the camera, since it looks like I might be doing a lot more of these interactive HD projects in the near future.

The increase in complexity and time for the component workflow is not a deterrent to me. Ultimate visual quality is the goal. Even if I had the XH-G1 I'd still have to have a similar capture capability and workflow for the digital SDI footage, correct?

Eventually we'll most likely go to the RED in the future, but that's a whole other story.

Actually, I wonder if there is anyone in the DFW area that has a Xena setup like the one I mention above. I'd be more than willing to pay for the time it would take to capture a test of our latest shoot (approx. 3 minutes) so I can do some more R&D. If anyone has or knows someone locally with such a rig, I would greatly appreciate contact info.

DVinfo is a fantastic educational resource and it has taught me so much. But I've got a long way to go before I understand all this as deeply as I need to.

Thanks for any input from any of you knowledgable types out there.

Chris Hurd May 3rd, 2008 01:39 PM

Hi Doyle, I searched the XH A1 forum for all of the threads I could find which discuss component video capture and have now merged them into one large discussion. You had posted to our XL H1 forum and I have moved your post to this thread since you have an XH A1. Please review the entire discussion thread thread here. Thanks in advance,

Doyle Calvert May 3rd, 2008 02:43 PM

Thanks Chris. You're certainly on top of things. I saw my post show up someplace I didn't put it when I went back to the XH-A1 forum and wondered how that happened (still a newbie on these fine boards).

I've been reading that very interesting collection of threads you put together. Very useful. Much appreciated!

David Del Real May 8th, 2008 08:47 AM

Don't know if this really answers any questions, but I found this ( http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...videorecorder/ ) to be a great option.

John Benton May 8th, 2008 12:02 PM

Blackmagic

this is interesting -
would it allow for HD 4:2:2 recording?
it shows a full res capture preset...
Really?

if you record through the SDI would it record HD
it states 1024 video

ideas?

Winfried Dobbe May 8th, 2008 12:16 PM

To me it looks like it does only SD.

John Benton May 8th, 2008 12:20 PM