DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78929-wide-angle-adaptor-xh-a1.html)

Richard Hunter December 3rd, 2006 01:19 AM

Having bought an A1 today, I followed Bogdan's example and modified my Century Optics 0.7X lens converter to use with the A1. The whole thing took around 15 - 20 mins, and the converter still fits on the XL2. Given the non-existent second-hand market in Singapore, this is great news for me because I would be lucky to get $50 for it if I sold it with my XL2.

Thanks Bogdan for showing the way!

Richard

Marty Hudzik December 3rd, 2006 07:52 AM

Just stumbled onto this post. Wow. I modified my 0.6x wide angle adapter and my .7x wa adapter almost 2 years ago to get them to work on the 16x manual lens. I didn't realize how this was viewed as a big deal. Wish I'd have posted it sooner.

Great news though. It makes for a lot more flexibility and saves money too. I never wanted to have to buy 2 adapters for 2 different lenses. Especially when the only difference is a few millimeters of steel on the lens mount!

Peace!

Bogdan Tyburczy December 3rd, 2006 11:53 AM

It's not as sharp as Canon's adapter corner-to-corner (Chris has posted some impressive examples), but soo wide angle. I'm glad it was so easy to adapt for XH A1 and that it works for you. I'm also glad I didn't sell mine too soon. I will definitely keep it in the arsenal. Cheers!

James Swirsky December 4th, 2006 12:15 PM

Canon Wide Angle Adapter Coming Soon ...?

Over on Xlcinema, there are some pics from a canon event held in NY the other day.

One of the items showcased is a Canon WA adapter for the XH series (though I suppose it'll work on the 72mm XL).

Good to see some accessories rolling out.

Barlow Elton reports:

http://xlcinema.com/look/showthread.php?t=1483

Holly Rognan December 4th, 2006 12:25 PM

I don't think it will work on the XL-H1, from what I have heard.

Holly Rognan December 4th, 2006 05:21 PM

Wide Angle Options

What are some other wide angle options that would work for the A1, other than the Canon one. I would like more than .8x, preferably .6x or possibly even a fisheye. I use extreme wide angle shots on occasion for weddings and I don't need zoom through at all, just wide. I am not worried about barell distortion either. Just wide, is all I am looking for.

Bill Pryor December 4th, 2006 06:01 PM

Century Optics usually has something around a .6X. I'd think any 72mm threaded one would work.
http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/product/B...256D83004C0F0B

Holly Rognan December 4th, 2006 07:34 PM

Thanks for the help Bill. I was looking on a forum, maybe this one some time ago about a lens named "RED" is is a single element lens that threads on a 72mm thread, with no zooming, and was built by some videgrapher.

Does anyone have a link for it? Has anyone tried it for HD? I want a wide angle lens for a few weddings coming up, just for artistic perspectives and b-roll, so I am not considerably concerned about softness as I will be using SD in the end.

Bill Pryor December 4th, 2006 07:48 PM

I think you mean this one--Red is close, but it's Red Eye:

http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ssue/7289.html

Chris Hurd December 4th, 2006 08:42 PM

The big question though is how do these resolve for HD. They're intended for standard definition.

Holly Rognan December 4th, 2006 11:34 PM

Chris,

I did a little more research and they do have new ones that have HD resolving power.

http://www.vfgadgets.com/RedEye.htm

I might just pick one of these up and give her a spin. the .5x should be just right for my needs.

John Huling December 13th, 2006 07:03 AM

Wide Angle Attachment for XH A1?

Has anyone used the Canon Wide-Angle attachment. The one Canon sells. Is it any good?

Alex Leith December 13th, 2006 08:03 AM

It's very impressive for the price.

Matthew Amirkhani January 18th, 2007 05:35 PM

Canon Wide Angle Lens.

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought the CAnon Wide Angle lens? if you have how you like it and what was the $$$$?
Looking to get one.

Thanks
Matthew

Billy Griffin January 18th, 2007 05:58 PM

Got it for about $425. I like it !! Although I will restate what many have already said in this forum = adding that glass makes the XH-A1 almost impossible to use as a "palm-corder" style camera. I wish Canon would have made the A1 into the body of the L1 (shoulder mount).

Steve Wolla January 18th, 2007 10:59 PM

I got the Canon WD-H72 wide angle for the A1, from EVS in Glendale for $399.
So far I have not shot a lot with it. The reason is in part due to the fact that it has a 109mm (!!!) filter size, and I cannot find a source yet for that size a filter.
I have used it indoors, and like it for shooting interriors. It is heavy, and hand held shooting with it on....well, it builds character, as well as your biceps.

Marty Hudzik January 19th, 2007 12:13 AM

I am curious to the reason this doesn't work on the H1. On BH site it lists this as compatible with the A1/G1 and the XL2. It doesn't mention the H1. ZGC tried it on their H1 in the shop and the said the threads don't line up or something. I think optically it is compatible but Canon may have made it have an incompatible mounting to keep the demand of the 6x wide lens up.

But isn't 72mm thread a 72mm thread? Perhaps it needs a spacer like the CO Wide angle that I have.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Peace!

Holly Rognan January 19th, 2007 01:08 AM

Good Question, I am curious to know as well.

Michael Bartolo January 19th, 2007 09:34 PM

I got the Canon WD-H72 wide angle for the A1 and think it is great value. It really makes the camera front heavy and a little more difficult to deal with hand held. I have to say the little bag that comes with the lense is quite odd. Perhaps a different pouch would make sense. Any ideas on alternative methods to transporting the lense outside of a hard case would be apporeciated.

Steve Wolla January 20th, 2007 01:07 AM

WD-H72 filter availability???

Have any of you users of the wide angle found a source for a filter for it? I am nervous about using it, unprotected. The 109mm filter size is a killer.

Steve Wolla January 22nd, 2007 02:47 AM

Filter for Canon-made WD-H72 wide angle lens

Hi,
I got my XHA1 about 3 weeks ago, and have shot a couple jobs with it and am loving it, thus far. Only issue is, I got the Canon wide angle because optically Canon glass is sooo good. Problem is, I cannot find a filter for its enormous 109mm size! All I need noe is a decent UV, basically for protection. Any suggestions? I have tried B&W, Century, and Hoya to no avail.
Any help would sure be appreciated.
SW

Chris Hurd January 22nd, 2007 10:32 AM

Hi Steve, you better check the front of the adapter... there aren't any threads for mounting a screw-on filter! A clamp-on mattebox, or a matte box and rails, is going to be your best bet for adding UV or any other type of filter to the front of the WA adapter.

Steve Wolla January 22nd, 2007 08:10 PM

Chris,
Thanks for the info--I had just assumed that it would be threaded (!!!).

Jim Martin January 24th, 2007 12:30 PM

The down-and-dirty way is tape a 4X5.650 filter inside the hood that comes with the WA.

Jim Martin

Tom Hardwick January 24th, 2007 12:55 PM

Oh-oh. Be *very* wary about filtration when you're working at focal lengths such as 2.5 mm. Hold your finger tips 2.5 mm apart and just gawp at the minute focal length we're talking about, and then realise that even at wide apertures your dof will extend from the front element to infinity for most of your outdoor shooting.

There's good reason for omitting 'filter' threads with such a wide-angle converter. It's hard enough keeping that front element absolutely spotless and well hooded without having people confound the problem by adding more glass surfaces.

If you must, then go for it. Polarisors are difficult to emulate in post but for most other filtration you're better of doing it (and more importantly undoing it) on the timeline.

tom.

Giroud Francois January 24th, 2007 03:12 PM

cokin is doing filter holder with big size. the biggest being the Z-pro serie up to 110mm (to be verified)

Paul Alberts February 1st, 2007 12:48 PM

Received camera and wide converter... Spider Brace or Canon SBR-1000

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't had much time to play around with it yet, but it is heavy. So what shoulder mount do you have for yours?

L. Kirk Kauder February 1st, 2007 01:16 PM

Hey Paul... I asked myself that same question and did a lot of research. My decision? I went with the Tiffen Steady Stick... and I'm really happy that I did. It's light weight, easy to manage (if you use the same quickmount for the SS and your tripod) and really works like they say. (Not to mention it's only a hundred bucks!)

This short thread lays it out and the link to the page with the video is very helpful (it was that video that helped me make the decision.)

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...dy+stick+video

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 01:50 PM

We have a forum dedicated entirely to shoulder supports, the Steady Stick, etc.:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=121

Bill Busby February 1st, 2007 02:00 PM

I've seen that demo video bit before. His mention of the "coopler" (the way he pronounces coupler) cracks me up. :D

Bill

Barry Gribble February 1st, 2007 04:12 PM

Are there any third party WA extensions that will work with the A1?

I will only use it a little bit, and mostly for web video, so I'm guessing that a $80 jobber might do the trick.

Also, does anyone have any screen shots of how wide the WD-H72 will take you?

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

anyone have any screen shots of how wide the WD-H72 will take you?
Search is your friend, Barry!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80691

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80716

Barry Gribble February 1st, 2007 04:33 PM

Lol, yeah Chris, search is how I found this thread.

I really like that second shot, buy it didn't use "Wide Angle," ah well.

Thanks.

Still interested in any input on the el-cheapo types.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 04:42 PM

Well, I had to show what full telephoto is like with that adapter, since it is a zoom-through.

Beware the el-cheapo, especially with HD! Don't you know, you get what you pay for?

Barry Gribble February 1st, 2007 04:50 PM

Yeah, I know. It's just hard to justify the $400 when I'm mostly shooting for web anyway, and when I don't even have a specific need yet. The last time I needed it was for a 10 second bathroom shot shown at 425x239. I figure cheap won't read much there. If I had a full screen project I wouldn't be thinking about the cheap path.

I'm still considering it, though. Thanks again.

Mark Finch February 2nd, 2007 02:24 PM

Century or Canon wide angle lens?

Hello everyone.

I'm having difficulty deciding whether to go for the Century (0.8x VS08CV72) or Canon (0.75x WD-H72) wide angle lens for the A1. The Century has a more universal front filter size, but costs more. The Canon comes with a lens hood (the Century one doesn't as far as I can tell) but does not have a thread for a front filter. A matte box is not a consideration at present as it will be quite awhile before I can afford one!

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these lenses? Is Century better quality or should I stick with 'manufacturer's own'?

Bill Pryor February 2nd, 2007 04:49 PM

Have you got the camera yet to see if you really need the wide angle adapter? The lens itself is ususually wide.

I have a Canon .7X I bought a few years ago for a DSR250. It was cheap, and it has quite a bit of distortion when there are strong vertical lines near the edges. The only times I have used it are usually in a car, shooting a driver, so the distortion isn't too noticeable. If it's something you need to use a lot, you'd be better off to spend more money on a better one. Just my opinion.

Mark Finch February 2nd, 2007 05:21 PM

I have checked the lens already on the camcorder - fantastic, for both wide and telephoto (in my newbie opinion). I guess I just want to be prepared, in case I am in the situation where I will need the lens to go wider (like shooting in a car for example). So do you think it's worth the little bit extra for the Century?

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2007 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Finch
I have checked the lens already on the camcorder - fantastic, for both wide and telephoto (in my newbie opinion). I guess I just want to be prepared, in case I am in the situation where I will need the lens to go wider (like shooting in a car for example). So do you think it's worth the little bit extra for the Century?

Mark, please clarify which wa have you actually checked? I'm after a good one myself!
What is the Century's weight and performance (barrel distorsion, color fringing, is it fully zoom-through)?

Bill Pryor February 3rd, 2007 10:01 AM

I think the lens on the XH A1 is wide enough for anything I'd do in a car. What I'd recommend if you just want the adapter to have one for the really unusual situation is buy the cheaper Canon. You can pay a lot more for the Century which gives you zoom-through and probably a little less edge distortion, but in my opinion it's not really worth it.