Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

It worked this time - thanks Chris.

The first picture shows the points at which the opening in the adapter had to be widened. Note: it shows reassembled adapter.

Second picture: just satisfaction :)
Attached Thumbnails
Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1?-0.6x-century-optics-modified.jpg   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1?-xh-a1-0.6x-century-optics.jpg  

Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Amazing. Does the Instant AF function work with this adapter? It looks like the IAF beam just might clear the barrel housing. Thanks for posting these.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Instant AF is not reliable with wide angle adapter because any focal length modifier changes characteristics of optical path. Instant AF relies on direct distance measurement and it's designed for standard configuration.

Normal AF works fine.
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Bogdan,

You have a wonderfully informative and concise posting style. It's a pleasure to have you aboard here.

Whittling away on an expensive adapter takes guts. Glad to see that it worked out for you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #20
Major Player

Wide angle lens tests?

Has anyone put on any wide angle lenses yet?

How well do they work (barrel distortion, ghosting, CA)?

Also does the XH A1 have more or less CA compared to the XL H1?
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #21
Major Player

bogdan, that's an awesome tip. now i regret getting rid of my adapter. in any case, thanks...

anyone who has an issue with taking a file to their adapter can send their adapters to century/schneider. they will change mounts on compatible adapters for the price of parts and labor. i imagine they'll have an xh mount sooner rather than later.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
$400 is the lowest amount I would consider paying for a WA adapter. In fact I'm having a hard time with this one being as inexpensive as it is.
2 questions....

1. Do you think the Canon WA is not up to snuff based on the price? Is this not as good of an adapter as say a "century optics .8x" ?

2. Will the Canon WA adapter for the A1/GI work on the H1? I think they are both 72mm mounts........

3. (I know I said 2 questions to start) Are there threads on the Canon to mount a filter in front of the WA lens?

Thanks! The cost of the Canon has me concerned about the quality myself so your input is highly valued.

Peace.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #23
New Boot

does the modified adapter still work with the XL2?

Bogdan,
Does the newly modified adapter still work with your XL2? Thanks for all of your work. peace.
Zachary Breitenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for taking the time doing this I really appreciate it. I was contemplating doing the same thing, and now that I know it works, I will give it a try.

Does it have significant barrrel distortion, considering that it already starts at a decent wide angle?

Also, can you notice a vast reduction in resolution, or is too minimal to care. (I am not really worried about the resolution drops as so much the FOV gained, but I am interested to see what you've noticed.)
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #25
Major Player

One more thing, would it be possible to post some grabs of stills showing the differences with it on and the point in which the zoom through looses capability?
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Breitenstein
Bogdan,
Does the newly modified adapter still work with your XL2? Thanks for all of your work. peace.
I don't have XL2 here to test it with, but with almost 100% confidence I can say it will fit XL2 and other XL cameras with stock lenses. It's just the way it attaches to the bayonet.

However, some of you may find the image quality unacceptable. Depends on how strict your requirements are. I will post some examples soon.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
Does it have significant barrrel distortion, considering that it already starts at a decent wide angle?

Also, can you notice a vast reduction in resolution, or is too minimal to care.
No big surprise here. There is significant barrel distortion and loss of resolution near the edges, but it holds very well in the center.

Personally, I find it usable when extreme wide angle is more important than resolution for practical and/or artistic reasons. One more thing. It's 0.6x adapter (vs 0.75x in WD-H72 for example). It pushes the angle of view to the limit.

As far as critical zoom-in point is concerned, nothing surprising here either. It allows precise focusing as you zoom-in, until it doesn't :)

Definitely, WD-H72 promises better performance, but not so wide angle of view. If it proves to deliver pristine quality edge to edge, it will be worth $400 and I will go for it.

Some examples below. I did them in 30F and framed similarly so you could have better picture of distortion and resolution problems. Hope this helps and does not disappoint too much. It didn't disappoint me. I was kinda expecting it.

The first two images show LCD screen and all four are pretty compressed jpegs. Originals are a little bit sharper and cleaner. Oh, it's raining here and it affected outdoor shots a little bit.

XH A1 is amazing :) Cheers!

Last edited by Bogdan Tyburczy; December 26th, 2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #28
Major Player

looks allright to me, especially for artistic views as you said. Thanks
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #29
Trustee

Talked to my vendor this morning and they just got the Canon WA adapter and it does "not" work on the H1. They didn't tell me why, but I was told it did not work. FWIW.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I was just hunting around the Internet and didn't see any WD-H72's in-stock (on the english websites). Where did you find it?
Steven Glicker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders